I'm Stephan, I've been organising this French Meetup group since April 2012.
The group provides the perfect combination of being practical (brushing up my rusty French on a regular basis) along with being sociable and meeting a whole bunch of friendly people with a common interest.
We have two monthly meetings every 3rd Wednesday and 1st Saturday.
If you have an idea for an event or would like to arrange one yourself, please contact me.
There is no set topic of conversation, so please be prepared to dive in and start chatting to anyone. Although the point of the group is to speak in French, this isn't a rule! Native French speakers who want to practice their English are also welcome - this group is about a language and cultural exchange.
We spent a long time meeting at the Edge Bar, however as the group has grown we have moved along the road to Sola and since 2008 to the Edward Wylie. I am always open to suggestions for alternative venues as long as these:
* can accommodate a group of approx 40 people on a Wednesday night
* are close to the centre of town and easy to locate
* don't have loud music
* have friendly staff and late opening hours
* are reasonably affordable
I like to keep the group up to date, and you can help me by taking a couple of easy steps:-
* Fill in your profile when you join up (or chances are you won't get round to it), so group members can get to know each other
* Add a photo as it helps people recognise/remember you
* Sign in to the site on a regular basis. If you don't, you will become an 'inactive member' and Meetup will stop sending you reminder emails with details about meetings (and then you're less likely to come)
* RSVP to let others know who's coming. The more people RSVP, the more people are likely to turn up - plus it helps me organise the venue!
* Provide feedback after a meetup. Rate the night and the venue, and write any comments so I can take them into account for future meetups
That's all for now, and I hope you'll join us at the next meetup!