Join the Global Community SB Open Streets Volunteer Team on Nov. 2nd
You can sign up to volunteer directly at this link which has all of the available shifts and times www.sbopenstreets.org/volunteer or email [masked]m
About SB Open Streets:
On Saturday, Nov 2nd, from 10 am - 4 pm, we will be closing over 2.5 miles of Cabrillo Blvd from Sterns Wharf to the Bird Refuge and part of the Funk Zone in Santa Barbara and making the streets become our largest public park. This is a celebration of people powered movement with the goal of creating a stronger more sustainable global community, mentally, physically and environmentally. No cars – no fumes – no traffic, just the open roads filled with walking, biking, skating, moving and doing! Learn more at www.sbopenstreets.org
• SB Open Streets is about creating a stronger, healthier more sustainable global community and reducing our carbon footprint worldwide!
• There are now over 200 Open Streets initiatives across the globe.
• We are reducing global obesity, connecting and strengthening the social fabric of our community.
• 15,000 are expected in attendance on Nov. 2nd and we need 150 community volunteers to make it a success!
• There will be a post event slide show and dinner after the event in November so we can celebrate building this SB Open Streets together!
About the Volunteer shifts:
Our critical need to make this event a success is our Intersection Superhero position. The intersection superhero shifts are spread out amongst the 3 mile area along Cabrillo and some surrounding streets. People work in groups of 2 or 4 and engage the public and have fun together and support the controlled intersections. A roving volunteer team, will help to relieve the team for short breaks. We can use 20-30 volunteers for each shift!
People can be as creative as they like at the intersections and the idea is to create a space to engage the captive audience in some way, the superheros will be encouraged to invite the public to "high five their neighbor" dance, do jumping jacks or break into song at controlled intersection crossings. Police manage the crossings but this position engages the bikers and pedestrians and creating a celebratory vision forward mood.
These are critical positions enabling us to permit this grand global public health initiative, that makes a street into a public park for a day of fitness and building a strong community.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP & CHECK IN:
• We are particularly in need of Intersection Superhero's to work during the hours of 8 am - 10:30 am, 10:30 am - 1:30 pm 1:30 to 4:30 pm.
• It would be great if this group could concentrate on the 1:30 to 4:30 shift, though is not mandatory. This way there is more of a saturation of our global members during a particular time slot.
• Come take a free salsa, zumba, or yoga class in the street or just enjoy the art, music and freedom of playing in the street with no cars and getting to know your neighbors then join us for a shift! or volunteer early and play afterward, whatever you prefer!
• You can sign up to volunteer directly at this link which has all of the available shifts and times www.sbopenstreets.org/volunteer or email [masked]m for more info.
• Meet at the Volunteer Check in Booth 20 minutes before your shift at the intersection of Cabrillo & State. Volunteers will be given a short orientation, a t-shirt, a radio and then will be deployed for their shift. (Arriving on bike is a major plus for this.)
• Volunteers also get lots of great perks to area fitness and dance classes, including free yoga classes, discounts at fitness clothing stores, a free yummy lunch and a free Open Streets T-shirt. You'll also become part of the Global Good Impact Network with access to networking events and programs on activism and advocacy. More info atwww.globalgoodimpact.org
Help spread the word and like us on Facebook
If you are involved in other groups, feel free to invite them, the more the merrier. We are in critical mode of recruiting volunteers and we need you to make it a success! Can't wait to celebrate with you at the slideshow when it's done! Date TBA in mid Nov.
I hope you will join us for Santa Barbara's very own SB Open Streets event on Nov. 2nd. Don't hesitate to call me if you have questions!
Check out this video about what our community wants to do on Nov. 2
Global Community Organizer
SB Open Streets Coordinator