This workshop on Feb 20th precedes our House of Commons meetup On March 6th where we are holding our first meeting where we will be using a “debate format.” This will be a debate on the future of the UK in Europe and we will be following the rules of debate. We are trying to hold different meeting formats because we know different styles appeal to different people. This one is based on debate.
So for those interested in the debate format and want to develop their presentation skills we are holding a “Debate Workshop” to give an over view of the debate style and procedures.
This will be presented by Tony Koutsoumbos who is President of the Central London Debating Society, a free speaker's club which hosts fortnightly public debates..
In this overview we hope to cover,
· Introduction to debating. What debating is really about and why it is so important. We go through the details of what is included in our training programme to help you ease in to the following workshops with confidence and peace of mind.
· How to prepare for a debate? We show you how many different ways a single topic or even a single word can be interpreted; and how to quickly access and prioritise the information you will need to be ready for anything.
· Constructing an argument: Planning your speech need not be so stressful as long as your argument has a solid structure. We will help you build your own template for a knockout presentation whether you are pitching a new idea, counter-proposing an alternative, or delivering your final summary.
· Deconstructing an argument: The next step after proposing an idea is to put it under the microscope to look for any crucial flaws. Whether you are responsible for scrutinising the proposals of others or simply want to know what to expect when your idea comes under the spotlight, we’ll show you how to spot a bad argument from a mile away and how to respond to a good one.
· Dynamics of debating:Standing up to speak in public is trying enough for most people, so taking questions on the spot can make even the best of us sweat – unless you have a few tricks up your sleeve. Here you will learn how to think on your feet without compromising your own unique speaking style.
Tony has held workshops of this kind and we are grateful to him for offering this one to our network. Those who have attended Tony’s workshops have commented
“Extremely good; clearly very experienced” (Gwyn Redgers – Director, Speakers’ Trust)
“Great evening – really structured well” (Claire Dobson, CLDS member)
“Good session – glad it was described as intensive as was reassuring when trying to take it all in…The tips for practice to make this second nature also very useful” (Jenni Macdougall – Head of Programmes, National Cancer Research Institute)
Although membership of our site is free we do expect all those who attend our events to pay an annual subscription that covers attendance not just one meeting but also to the vast majority of our meetups and webinars for any one year. It also allows you to bring one guest free to every meeting or webinar.
The subscription is £10 a year for those who commit to a recurrent annual payment for the next three years. During that time the price will not go up. For those who want to pay for one year only then it will be £12 for this year.
Both of the above applies to those who pay in advance by paypal, eventbrite or by cheque. For those who pay at the door or after the event then the subscription will be £15
If you are unable to pay online this way can you please let us know and we will make other arrangements. Also we never refuse membership to anyone who is unable to pay so please let us know if there are difficulties this way and you will still be able to join in.