addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Gloucester County Humanists Message Board › Should Humanists support the Occupy movement?

Should Humanists support the Occupy movement?

Bill R.
jwreitter
Glassboro, NJ
Post #: 64
Steve Ahlquist wrote:

Yesterday, Humanists of Rhode Island became the first Humanist group to publicly support their local Occupy movement publicly. On page two of the Oct 19th Providence Journal, the paper ran parts of the group's press release, along with a similar pledge of support from the Sierra Club. The full release, and relevant links, is on the humanistsri.com blog.

I feel that if Humanists cannot support the very human-centered methods and goals of the Occupy movement, then what does it even mean to be a Humanist? If the top priority of Humanism is removing "under God" from the Pledge instead of working to restore basic human dignity and rights in impossible financial times, then Humanism as a movement is already dead.

I understand that many Humanists consider the economic ideas, such as they have been expressed by the Occupy movement, as anathema to their own views. Even so, the democratic values espoused by the movement, the high regard for human rights and dignity, and the movement's strong admonishments against violence and vandalism should command the respect and support of all Humanists, everywhere.
Michael D.
user 15761781
Sewell, NJ
Post #: 5
I agree with the statement made by Steve Ahlquist. We at Gloucester County Humanists are a new group, and I believe we should have a discussion at our next meeting to decide if we are going to publicly support the OCW movement.
Janice R.
janicerael
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 268
The Occupy Movement does not want to be co-opted by any political party. They resent the involvement of Democratic party promoters like MoveOn. While it would be great to see all of these disillusioned people voting Green, I don't think we should go in there to recruit.

However, we can talk about Green issues such as the problem of the corporately-controlled parties being responsible for wrecking the economy, abolishing the Electoral College, and more, because Occupy has focused on these issues.

So as a group, yes, we can and should support them, with our donations and our time, but we have to be careful not to try to take them over for our own political gain. At this point, the Occupy Movement is trying to remain apolitical.

edited to add: or recruit them to atheism/Humanism.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/politics/5268/god_dissolves_into_the_occupy_movement/­