Gloucester County Humanists Message Board › Peter Hitchens writes his memories of his brother, Christopher Hitchens

Peter Hitchens writes his memories of his brother, Christopher Hitchens

Janice R.
janicerael
Group Organizer
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 313
There are a lot of stories today about the death and life of atheist author Christopher Hitchens, who was the American Humanist Association's Humanist of the Year in 2008. This is one you must not miss, from Hitch's brother, Peter. Poignant and touching.

http://www.dailymail....­

"Here’s a thing I will say now without hesitation, unqualified and important. The one word that comes to mind when I think of my brother is ‘courage’. By this I don’t mean the lack of fear which some people have, which enables them to do very dangerous or frightening things because they have no idea what it is to be afraid. I mean a courage which overcomes real fear, while actually experiencing it."

"My brother possessed this virtue to the very end, and if I often disagreed with the purposes for which he used it, I never doubted the quality or ceased to admire it. I’ve mentioned here before C.S.Lewis’s statement that courage is the supreme virtue, making all the others possible. It should be praised and celebrated, and is the thing I‘d most wish to remember."