Gloucester County Humanists Message Board › Humanism and Progressive Issues

Humanism and Progressive Issues

Bill R.
Glassboro, NJ
Post #: 263
Humanism and Progressive Issues

As Humanists we must go beyond the anti-religion stance and stand up for the progressive issues we hold dear. We must take a strong public stand against all war, injustice and pollution. We must condemn oppression and loss of privacy. We cannot be afraid to take a stand on politically charged issues because the world is in a state of crisis and needs urgent leadership to protect people and planet.

Humanists are best positioned to provide the moral leadership that the world needs to survive during and after destructive wars and global warming that have taken their horrible toll. Most young people I know have given up hope that governments can adequately address, much less solve, our problems... and they see Humanism as a merely quaint philosophy.

We need to show them that Humanist values are progressive, practical and even radical enough to meet the challenges of today's critical and urgent problems. These include criminal justice reform, radical military reforms, health care for all, education for all, decent jobs for everyone, and equal rights for everyone, and most importantly, grassroots democracy and freedom from corporate control and greed.

Bill Reitter

If we cannot take a stand on these issues we are not worthy of the name Humanist.
Michael D.
user 15761781
Sewell, NJ
Post #: 9
I agree with you 100%. Perhaps we should invite some of the young progressives from Rowan to one of our meetings. Most of the people who attend our meetings are older like me. We need some new perspectives, and we should act a little more on our convictions.- Mike DeLozier

Janice R.
Group Organizer
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 347
I send three Rowan students invites when I post our meetings on Facebook. They've been busy being students.

For those of us who have been Humanists for a long time, moving on to a focus on progressive issues is a natural step. But I think our little group is still in the early stages, since most people seem to really want to talk about shedding religion, living as an atheist in a religious society, networking with other nontheists, and chatting socially in a way we can't normally chat when surrounded by religious people.

This is very ambitious, but it might be too soon for GCH. Maybe we should discuss it at our next meeting, and ask everyone what meeting format they prefer, and what they think about getting more active politically. Another thing we could do is have a GCH Focus Group that meets (maybe at Bill's or at the Rowan Barnes & Noble Cafe) on a weeknight, and invite those interested to join the focus group to work on these issues.

The feedback has been great for our social/chat meetings, I hope we can keep it going.

I couldn't possibly get more politically active than I am right now, so I probably wouldn't join the focus group. I would like to see GCH be a relaxed, neighborly, casual monthly talk. I am one of the ones who prefers to have a more social, community gathering, over a meeting with a topic. A lot of us in GCH are very chatty, I hope we can talk about this idea more and see what everyone else thinks.

Also note we're right next to the Harrison House, so we can have a meeting followed by coffee and pie if some people want to do that.