Do you want to explore all the hiking trails in the Research Triangle area and the best ones within a three-hour radius? Would you like most of the hikes to be dog-friendly? Are you interested in a group that hikes about 2.0 - 2.5 mph, taking time to take photos? This may be the group you've been looking for! Beginners are welcome and can handle almost all our hikes.
Most hikes will be at local or state parks; however, some hikes will be urban hikes or tours (e.g., Raleigh, Durham, Hillsborough, Asheville). About six times/year, we drive 4-5 hours away, so we stay overnight and we split the cost of a room with two double beds. These trips include waterfall trips to Western North Carolina in Panthertown Valley, Gorges State Park, Dupont State Forest, as well as other locations.
Volunteers will lead some hikes. Feel welcome to volunteer -- even if it is just as simple as Lake Lynn, Shelly Lake, Bond Lake or Lake Johnson where it is impossible to get lost.
Dog-friendly hikes are especially good for beginners, as dogs slow down the pace a bit. You do not need to bring a dog to attend the dog friendly hikes.
• NO KIDS UNDER 5 years old can attend for safety reasons.
Participation in any activity with the "Take a Hike Buddy" group is at your own risk.
To the fullest extent allowed by law, you waive any claims against, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Go Take A Hike, Buddy Meetup group, it's organizers, affiliates, employees, officers, directors and contractors, from all claims of liability of every type (including court costs and legal fees) for injury or death to any person or for damage to property arising out of or relating to your participation as a member. This agreement applies to you and any other party who may accompany you in these endeavors.
Rules for Dog-Owners:
• Your dog must have on a current RABIES TAG at all times, or you must have rabies certificate with you at all times. We recommend that only dogs who are vaccinated (distemper/parvo and bordetella) and are free of internal & external parasites (fleas/ticks and intestinal worms) attend our events.
• DOGS MUST STAY ON LEASH AT ALL TIMES!! Extend-a-leads (aka "flexi-leashes) are not allowed on our hikes and you must have your pet on a leash no longer than 6 feet
• Leave NO trace behind, so please clean up after your pet.
• Always abide by the posted park/venue rules.
• Aggressive dogs and female dogs "in heat" are not permitted at our events. It is up to the discretion of the event host whether a dog is posing a safety threat to an individual or group.