Golden Ruby Users Group Message Board › June GRUG Ideas?

June GRUG Ideas?

Dan S.
Denver, CO
We had a speaker scheduled for June but they couldn't make it.  So I'm soliciting ideas for this coming GRUG meeting (Wed, June 5th).

Any takers for presenting something? Or ideas? We could do open-floor lightening talks. Or we could make it just hang-out-and-chat night. Or something else?

I'm struggling what what would be best, so I welcome input. Either email me or just post a reply to this thread on the discussion board.

But no matter what the decision: we'll have GRUG at same time, same place on June 6th... so come!

P.S. If you got an email about the discussion post AND this email, I apologize. I'm sending this because I don't think the discussion board auto-emails to the group.
Prakash M.
Longmont, CO
Post #: 10
Hi Dan, did send an email. However, that is fine by me; Others in the group too are not likely to mind it.

One activity I have enjoyed doing as part of ruby user group meetings is going through ruby koans. Works even better when people pair on it.

I have worked on parts of the koans at different user groups before, but never got around to actually finish it. Finally, after another start at the Mysore Ruby User Group 3 weeks ago, decided that I wanted to go all the way this time - spent the needed 3-4 hours over the next 2 weeks and finished it!

Turned out to be an extremely good review of ruby concepts + got to learn some new concepts. And last week, I impressed myself by using the send method confidently to greatly simplify/minimize the code; all thanks to having learnt about it through ruby koans smile

Good luck!

user 11473057
Boulder, CO
Post #: 1
I like the idea of koans. Another idea is some sort of panel discussion/debate format. I'm not sure what the topics could be, but I've had the best discussions with others when they're open debate formats.
Dan S.
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
Ruby Koans is a great idea! I also like the idea of a panel discussion... but I'd want to think through some topics first. Maybe we could all argue about DHH's DI rant: http://david.heinemei...­ wink

I got an offer from a cloud computing company to come and do a presentation on cloud computing. I think for June that will be good... and perhaps as a group we can start to think about Koans/discussion as a July option.

(Oh, and keep the ideas coming folks... we can "git stash" them for future GRUGs)