Orlando Humanist Association Message Board › Do you really think prayer will help? We don't have a prayer if we don't.

Do you really think prayer will help? We don't have a prayer if we don't.

Jairo M.
JamyangPawo
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 1,506
My thoughts on prayer fall on dead ears. But let a master explain better than me. Put simply:
Actually, it's not necessary to chant a prayer; a prayer is not the words. You have to know this. We use words when we pray but the actual prayer is not the words. In fact, prayer is in the mind.
-- Lama Thubten Yeshe
Richard F.
user 64484242
Orlando, FL
Post #: 21
Wait! What! What!

No, I hear quite well. Your words on prayer are read by some who think prayer is a meaningless question. Extra linguistic baggage that can be trimmed away with Ocam's razor.

Let's say I wanted a red wagon when I was six years old. I told my mom I wanted one. She tells me, maybe if you pray for one, you will get one for Christmas. So I pray a lot, say every night, for forty days and nights. The day arrives. I either get the red wagon or I do not. My mom either bought for me, or she did not. If I do, she bought it for me. If I do not, she might tell me, "I really don't think you prayed enough." Mean spirited mom. She should have been an atheist.

If my mom had been Richard Feynman, he would have said, O.K. put it on your Xmas gift list and we'll see. I'll have to find out about how I can get one. First, I'll determine if one exists. Then, depending on pricing, I'll have to determine source of funding. I may have enough in my normal income to buy it. Or, maybe I can make one. I might find one on Craig's list, if I can't pay retail. I am 100% sure, mom Feynman wouldn't suggest that I pray for the wagon.

For Richard Feynman, and me, life is finding out about things. I can find out about if prayer works by doing a controlled, double blind study.