People go to the church, in this case the Catholic church, for moral authority. Unfortunately, this trust is sometimes undeserved. In many cases the violation of trust and good common sense is, ultimately, traceable to men trying to control women. Much of it also has to do, more generally, with maintaining power at any cost. And, of course, there are those who honestly believe many antediluvian, misogynistic concepts maintained by the official church.
I've taken the trouble to list the "8 ugly sins of the Catholic church" which are discussed in the link below.
(1) Excommunicating doctors and nuns for saving lives.
(2) Protecting even non-Catholic sex-offenders against child victims.
(3) Using churches to organize gay haters.
(4) Lying about contraception to poor Africans.
(5) Obstructing patient access to accurate information and services in secular hospitals.
(6) Slapping down nuns.
(7) Bullying girl scouts.
(8) Purging popular and scholarly interfaith bridge builders.
Check out the link if any of this interests you. --Dan