Dear MoveOn member,
Paul Ryan is bad for America. He's anti-choice, and would give big tax cuts for millionaires, while raising taxes
on the middle-class. He's a Tea Party favorite who takes donations from the billionaire Koch brothers, and he introduced
one of harshest and most inhumane budgets in recent history. His ideological hero for many years called selfishness a virtue
and charity an abomination.
But most people don't know just how bad Paul Ryan is.
So we made this list of 10 things to know about Mitt Romney's
Vice Presidential pick, Paul Ryan. Read it, then click here
to share this list as an image on social media
, or just forward this email! The future of America is on the line—from
a woman's right to choose to our economy.
1. His economic plan would cost America 1 million jobs in the first year. Ryan's proposed budget would cripple the
economy. He'd slash spending deeply, which would not only slow job growth, but shock the economy and cost 1 million of us
our jobs in 2013 alone and kill more than 4 million jobs by the end of 2014.1
2. He'd kill Medicare. He'd replace Medicare with vouchers for retirees to purchase insurance, eliminating the guarantee
of health care for seniors and putting them at the mercy of the private insurance industry. That could amount to a cost increase
of more than $5,900 by 2050, leaving many seniors broke or without the health care they need. He'd also raise the age of
eligibility to 67.2
3. He'd pickpocket the middle class to line the pockets of the rich. His tax plan is Robin Hood in reverse. He wants
to cut taxes by $4.6 trillion over the next decade, but only for corporations and the rich, like giving families earning
more than $1 million a year a $300,000 tax cut. And to pay for them, he'd raise taxes on middle- and lower-income households
and butcher social service programs that help middle- and working-class Americans.3
4. He's an anti-choice extremist. Ryan co-sponsored an extremist anti-choice bill, nicknamed the 'Let Women Die Act,'
that would have allowed hospitals to deny women emergency abortion care even if their lives were at risk. And he co-sponsored
another bill that would criminalize some forms of birth control, all abortions, and in vitro fertilization.4
5. He'd dismantle Social Security. Ironically, Ryan used the Social Security Survivors benefit to help pay for college,
but he wants to take that possibility away from future generations. He agrees with Rick Perry's view that Social Security
is a "Ponzi scheme" and he supported George W. Bush's disastrous proposal to privatize Social Security.5
6. He'd eliminate Pell grants for more than 1 million low-income students. His budget plan cuts the Pell Grant program
by $200 billion, which could mean a loss of educational funding for 1 million low-income students.6
7. He'd give $40 billion in subsidies to Big Oil. His budget includes oil tax breaks worth $40 billion, while cutting
"billions of dollars from investments to develop alternative fuels and clean energy technologies that would serve as
substitutes for oil."7
8. He's another Koch-head politician. Not surprisingly, the billionaire oil-baron Koch brothers are some of Ryan's
biggest political contributors. And their company, Koch industries, is Ryan's biggest energy-related donor. The company's
PAC and affiliated individuals have given him $65,500 in donations.8
9. He opposes gay rights. Ryan has an abysmal voting record on gay rights. He's voted to ban adoption by gay couples,
against same-sex marriage, and against repealing "don't ask, don't tell." He also voted against the Hate Crimes
Prevention Act, which President Obama signed into law in 2009.9
10. He thinks an "I got mine, who cares if you're okay" philosophy is admirable. For many years, Paul Ryan
devoted himself to Ayn Rand's philosophy of selfishness as a virtue. It has shaped his entire ethic about whom he serves
in public office. He even went as far as making his interns read her work.10
If there was ever any doubt that Mitt Romney's got a disastrous plan for America—he made himself 100% clear when
he picked right-wing extremist Paul Ryan as his running mate.
Paul Ryan is bad for America, but we can't beat him if
Americans don't know everything he stands for. Share this list with all your friends by clicking
here, or simply forward this email.
Thanks for all you do.
–Justin, Carrie, Steven, Stephen, and the
rest of the team
3."Ryan Budget Would Raise Some Taxes; Guess Who Gets Hit?," Off the Charts, April 12, 2012 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=278692&id=48819-20321536-buu5V3x&t=6
Want to support our work?
We're entirely funded by our 7 million members—no
corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our
tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way.
Chip in here
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to Norma J. Young on August 14, 2012. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.