Re: [atheists-36] What if you are wrong?

From: Adam N.
Sent on: Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:58 AM
In addition there is the antithesis to Pascal's wager which really turns the argument on its head in another way.

What if there IS a god but he is a scientist and is conducting an experiment by leaving all these contradictory texts, epistles and holy books lying around for us to find. The premise of the experiment being how long does it take for humans to evolve beyond the obviously inane superstitions and magical thinking described in the texts and apply the reason inherent in their design to life's questions and will that evolution occur before the forces of superstition destroy the entire species and thus end the experiment??

In this very plausible case the Atheists actually are the only ones that please god and advance the human race.

Present this concept to a believer and the realize that for the first time THEY COULD be the ones actually pissing off their big daddy in the sky. It is an epiphinal moment for the few believers capable of critical thinking and for the rest, they just change the subject and avoid further conversation with you ofr start making the sign of the cross... either way the thinking atheist is better off!



----
Stay well,

Adam Nehr

This message, and any attachments to this message, may contain technical data that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) controls and may not be exported or otherwise disclosed to any foreign person or firm, whether in the US or abroad, without first complying with all requirements of the ITAR, 22 CFR[masked], including the requirement for obtaining an export license if applicable. In addition, this message, and any attachments to this message, may contain technology that is subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and may not be exported or otherwise disclosed to any non-U.S. person, whether in the US or abroad, without first complying with all requirements of the EAR, 15 CFR[masked], including the requirement for obtaining an export license if applicable. Violation of these export laws is subject to severe criminal penalties.

[masked]
[masked] cell


\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"To make an apple pie you must first create the universe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"....Carl Sagan


--------- Original Message --------
From: [address removed]
To: "[address removed]" <[address removed]>
Subject: Re: [atheists-36] What if you are wrong?
Date: 06/09/13 04:33

What a great perspective. For me this question was a huge barrier and fear. It almost paralyzed me to the point of allowing my doubts and questions to go unexplored. It's nice to hear such a concise and logical argument out of the mouth of such a great thinker. Thank you for sharing.
Juanita

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 8, 2013, at 10:28 PM, joseph levy <[address removed]> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg
>
>
>
> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
> http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/
> This message was sent by joseph levy ([address removed]) from Orlando Freethinkers & Humanists.
> To learn more about joseph levy, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/members/9548053/
> Set my mailing list to email me
>
> As they are sent
> http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=1
>
> In one daily email
> http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=2
>
> Don't send me mailing list messages
> http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=0
> Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]
>




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/
This message was sent by Juanita ([address removed]) from Orlando Freethinkers & Humanists.
To learn more about Juanita, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/members/88096622/
Set my mailing list to email me

As they are sent
http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=1

In one daily email
http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=2

Don't send me mailing list messages
http://www.meetup.com/GotReason/list_prefs/?pref=0
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]


Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy