align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Mailing List Archive

Subject Sender Date
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - My dear Patrick Nelson: In my mind this country would be better off had his ancestors, and others of his ilk, stayed in czarist Russia fig Peter Apr 1, 2010 6:13 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Greg, I'm not sure how you asking your question.? Although I'm apprehensive, I'll give you the benefit of doubt out of my sense of fairness.? I say this because, as it appears to me now, there is often an unreasonable amount of viciousn Greg Apr 1, 2010 5:49 PM
RE: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - user 1. Apr 1, 2010 5:49 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Accept my most sincere sympathy for your unapologetic fandom. --- On Thu, 4/1/10, Sam <[address removed]> wrote: Peter Apr 1, 2010 5:44 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - I am a very big fan of many of those people. Unapologetically so in fact. Sent from my iPhone On Apr 1, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Peter < [address removed] Sam Apr 1, 2010 4:35 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Preview not available Tomo Apr 1, 2010 4:19 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Out of curiousity, why do you detest Noam Chomsky? - Patrick Nelson Sent from my phone. On Apr 1, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Peter < acelp99@yahoo user 1. Apr 1, 2010 2:25 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Never have I. Neonazis in parentheses were meant as a reference. --- On Thu, 4/1/10, Tom L <[address removed]> wrote: Peter Apr 1, 2010 1:54 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Anybody who thinks highly of Saul Alinsky, Noam Chomsky, Edward Said, George Soros, K Peter Apr 1, 2010 1:51 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - I've been involved in the atheist community for 30ish years and have yet to see a single neonazi. ? Tom L Apr 1, 2010 1:40 PM
Sharing FloridaFreethinker.com Articles & Videos - Thanks to Jane Kapp for asking about this. Did you know you can send links from our blog entries to your favorite social networking sites? At the bottom of each article and video, look for "Share on Social Networking Sites" Pamela D. Apr 1, 2010 1:35 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - What do you mean, "Trotskyite element"? At 12:46 PM Thursday 4/1/2010, Peter wrote: By temperament I am a liberal. Concerning social/privacy issues I still am. Otherwise a l user 3. Apr 1, 2010 12:58 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Greg, ?? Ok, I have to call you on this. What exactly does Moore's Law have to do with the efficiency of the US Census? And how can you say that an 32-fold increase in computing power (Moore's Law over 10 years) would cause the Census t Greg H. Apr 1, 2010 12:47 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - By temperament I am a liberal. Concerning social/privacy issues I still am. Otherwise a libertarian, and also believe that there is a jungl Peter Apr 1, 2010 12:46 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Preview not available Tomo Apr 1, 2010 12:40 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Ditto three. Social liberal, fiscal conservative. Republican when young only because my parents were. Then Independent. Tried Democra Pamela D. Apr 1, 2010 12:35 PM
RE: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census, they are authorized to count, not ask questions - Very well said, Robban! At 12:14 PM Thursday 4/1/2010, Robban wrote: >I am often in wonder of the great interest in "small transgressions against >Liberty" which seems to dominate the minds of so many Americans - when the >greatest transgression aga user 3. Apr 1, 2010 12:17 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - I agree with Tomo, this is really an issue that transcends political parties.? To be cost effective, the Census would need to be done far differently than it is being done.? And, if Moore's Law Greg Apr 1, 2010 11:59 AM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Dianna Apr 1, 2010 11:36 AM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Preview not available Tomo Apr 1, 2010 11:29 AM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Like and agree with most of what MartyB wrote in the last two missives. Have been confused lately about the idea that atheism is connected to some sort of Fender Apr 1, 2010 11:24 AM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Also a writ of habeas corpus is only required if you a being detained not counted. As an American citizen you are free to leave the country at any time. And as you are not yet in an internment camp you are not eligible for a writ. I would like to say t MartyB Mar 31, 2010 11:00 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - Well according to the constitution a census must be done every 10 years. Ten questions is not "a lot more information than that" no matter how you slice it. If you are white I doubt they will try to put you into an internment camp. If you don't send it MartyB Mar 31, 2010 10:51 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - I'm not sure, that may be true, but they are asking for a lot more information than that! Best Regards Greg Pettengill [masked] Land Line [masked] Cell Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions Greg Mar 31, 2010 10:02 PM
Re: [atheists-36] I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - I believe legally, one only has to give the number of occupants per household? Sent from my iPhone On Mar 31, 2010, at 9:52 PM, Greg < [address removed] > w michael Mar 31, 2010 9:54 PM
I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census - When I returned the forms from the U. S. Census Bureau this year I wrote on it... "I conscientiously object to the U. S. Census and demand my right to habeas corpus." Scientific American, March 30, 2007 Greg Mar 31, 2010 9:51 PM
Re: [atheists-36] Sam Harris on Science & Morality - Preview not available Pamela D. Mar 31, 2010 1:46 PM
Re: [atheists-36] Pope Must GO! - Not only the Pope but that whole rotten criminal organisation, the largest and oldest maffia operation in the world. --- On Wed, 3/31/10, Dmitry &l Peter Mar 31, 2010 1:12 PM
Re: [atheists-36] Pope Must GO! - That's nice but it'll never happen. On Mar 31,[masked]:04 PM, "Orlando Jack" < [address removed] > wrote: Message Board: Dmitry Mar 31, 2010 1:06 PM
Pope Must GO! - Message Board: http://www.meetup.com/GotReaso­n/messages/boards/thread/88633­55 Jack M. Mar 31, 2010 1:03 PM
RE: [atheists-36] Sam Harris on Science & Morality - Swami Mar 31, 2010 12:34 PM
Sam Harris on Science & Morality - Just posted a new video on our Florida Freethinkers site - Feb 2010 TED Talk by Sam Harris on why the separation of science and values is a dangerous illusion. Check it out > www. Pamela D. Mar 31, 2010 9:28 AM
Scientology Exposed TONIGHT! - Message Board: http://www.meetup.com/GotReaso­n/messages/boards/thread/88617­93 Jack M. Mar 31, 2010 8:18 AM
Easter Bunny News: The Holiday For 'Freethinkers' to Volunteer - Meet Chris, Director of 'Hands on Orlando.' Message Board: http://www.meetup.com/GotReaso­n/messages/boards/thread/88452­74 Jack M. Mar 29, 2010 10:08 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - " Joe Mar 27, 2010 11:02 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - >> doesn't matter what new definition anyone comes up with.... >> The default is still "it doesn't exist" > > Not always so, even for some old definitions. Sane persons agree on the > existence of the sun, for example. The disagreement in cases o Dianna Mar 27, 2010 8:09 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Ever argue with a drunk. I hope you never have to give solace to a child, because with your argument that boogey man under the bed, in the closet, or who comes out at night is real, as you have no evidence to the contrary. With your reasoning it wo Jan Mar 27, 2010 7:31 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Ps I apologize for the poor punctuation and missing words :-/ - Patrick Nelson Sent from my phone. On Mar 27, 2010, at 12:59 AM, Patrick Nelson wrote: > Look guys, who cares if gnomes exist?if do that's awesome. As a > c user 1. Mar 27, 2010 1:02 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Look guys, who cares if gnomes exist?if do that's awesome. As a consumerist, I want one ;) In any case, as with any assertion, depending on it's level of claimed importance. i.e. Take it for what it's worth. Important claims need evidence, pla user 1. Mar 27, 2010 12:58 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - > In a message dated 3/26/2010 6:26:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > [address removed] writes: > > doesn't matter what new definition anyone comes up with.... > The default is still "it doesn't exist" Not always so, even for some old definitio p Mar 27, 2010 12:38 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Peggy Mar 26, 2010 11:39 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 7:26 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ... I guess you come from the Alanis Morisette School of Irony. >_> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Jan < janjb Tomo Mar 26, 2010 7:14 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Jan Mar 26, 2010 7:03 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Once, while mowing my lawn in the hot Florida sun, I saw a procession of religious retailers going from door to door on my street. I went inside and made Fender Mar 26, 2010 6:28 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - "He wrapped himself in quotations - as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors." Rudyard Kipling. If you want to be insulting, its probably best not to hide behind the words of others. Anyone can pull from a bo Tomo Mar 26, 2010 6:25 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - I agree with everything you said, but you guys are glossing over my point unfortunately. My point is that atheists, and anyone really, can make a claim that "gnomes do not exist" even when they do not consider the parameters f Tomo Mar 26, 2010 6:12 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Jan Mar 26, 2010 5:56 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 5:52 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Dianna, Correct. Because it is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. -Joe On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Dianna < Joe Mar 26, 2010 5:26 PM
Re: [atheists-36] whose evidence? - > Much of our knowledge is learned from others. That is an acceptable rewording of the point. >> we accept explanations given by others > Dianna > www.atheistview.com > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "p" p Mar 26, 2010 5:18 PM
Re: [atheists-36] whose evidence? - If you can't learn from the evidence others have painstakingly gathered for you, you are welcome to remain in the dark. Much of our knowledge is learned from others. This doesn't make it any less ours once we've got it. Dianna www.atheistview.co Dianna Mar 26, 2010 4:46 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 4:40 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Tomo Mar 26, 2010 4:17 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - I enjoy when they come to my door & most of the time I engage in beautiful conversations with them---they are committed to a world that works Ellen M. Mar 26, 2010 4:13 PM
whose information? - Preview not available p Mar 26, 2010 4:10 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Same. On Mar 26,[masked]:04 PM, "Neal Gallagher" < [address removed] > wrote: Just this afternoon, a young fellow came to my front door wanting to give me so Dmitry Mar 26, 2010 4:08 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Tomo Mar 26, 2010 4:07 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Just this afternoon, a young fellow came to my front door wanting to give me some information about "Jesus". I am often tempted to be rude in these situations because I resent the interruption. I just told him I was not interested. What would al Neal G. Mar 26, 2010 4:04 PM
Re: [atheists-36] whose evidence? - Preview not available Tomo Mar 26, 2010 3:44 PM
whose evidence? - I have no evidence that air and water contain oxygen. I know only that I breathe air, and that I choked when I breathed water. If you are a chemist, then you have some experiences that are your evidence of this oxygen stuff. If you are not then you p Mar 26, 2010 3:18 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Perhaps the real point we missed, Greg, and I stand with Pam on this, is that it is OK to be rude. There are circumstances that invit Sam Mar 26, 2010 2:55 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - The burden of proof is on the claimant though, and trying to support a claim with a LACK of evidence is easily dismissed as an "argument from ignorance".�� My point is that while I agree a lack ��of belief is not somet Tomo Mar 26, 2010 2:09 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Pam, I'm not offended.? I was simply appealing to you to make your statement more accurate. I'd like to point out that when we talk about General Semantics , we are not talking abo Greg Mar 26, 2010 1:55 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 1:45 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Is this where we all hold hands and sing "Kum-Bai-Ya My Science, Kum-Bai-Ya"? On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Pamela Dodd < [address removed] > Tomo Mar 26, 2010 1:42 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Nor, it seems, do you have to PROVE a belief. It just IS. Anyone knows that (said tongue in cheek). - - - Pamela D. Mar 26, 2010 1:37 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Tomo...I think you and I are in agreement. On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Tomo < [address removed] > wrote: Dmitry Mar 26, 2010 1:32 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - True, you don't have to prove a lack of belief, but when you make a claim, you do have to support it. The difference can be subtle, but when I start out by saying that no gods exist, I'm making a claim of knowledge. When I say, Tomo Mar 26, 2010 1:23 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 12:39 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Struggling to find a a more efficient way of explaining my idea (as I have evidently done a poor job of explaining myself), I came across this fantastic article.�� It's all about the context with which these words are used, and Tomo Mar 26, 2010 12:31 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 12:24 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - " When people are intellectually honest, they admit that no one has knowledge of another realm or gods." Dmitry Mar 26, 2010 12:21 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Dmitry Mar 26, 2010 12:16 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ��� Dianna Mar 26, 2010 12:03 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - PZ Meyers is just one of many New Atheists who dispises reconcilliation between believers and non-believers. Fender Mar 26, 2010 10:58 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - It isn't just "to be without knowledge", it's also "not be making a claim to knowledge", which is an important difference. Logically, you can not prove something doesn't exist. Oh, you can Tomo Mar 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Tonight:: Christopher Hitchens - HBO - Tonight - HBO - Bill Maher - Christoper Hitchens panelist appearance. Jack M. Mar 26, 2010 9:03 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Meant not condoning boorishness or lack of clarity. LOL on me! - - - Pamela D. Mar 26, 2010 8:26 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Of course everything I write here is my opinion, just like everything everyone else who writes here is their opinion. I'm not seeing Pamela D. Mar 26, 2010 8:24 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Greg - I stand by "any." You can substitute other words if you like. Since it's you who is again offended by my cho Pamela D. Mar 26, 2010 8:17 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Dmitry Mar 26, 2010 7:59 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Dianna Mar 26, 2010 7:39 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - I agree, but am hesitant to claim I feel disrespected because they insist it is sent out of "love." I do love these girls, we spend a Sam Mar 26, 2010 7:24 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Ner, so I did. Hopped on cold meds, so pardon my ineloquence :p Sent from my iPhone On Mar 25, 2010, at 11:48 PM, Patrick Nelson < [address removed] > wrote Tomo Mar 26, 2010 1:06 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - > From: "Sam" > > women I have explained my godlessness to dozens of times.... > including me in something they forwarded to everyone. It is disrespectful to treat an individual as an undifferentiated group. p Mar 26, 2010 1:02 AM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Wow, Well stated and exactly an honest view!!! Because any of the groups you mentoned, whether it be atheist, theist, deist or Christians that most might claim that they fall into may be n michael Mar 25, 2010 11:54 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Just FYI, you basically just said they aren't mutually exclusive. And I agree. I'm an agnostic atheist and I can prove it! - Patrick Nelson Sent from my phone. On Mar 2 user 1. Mar 25, 2010 11:47 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Preview not available Tomo Mar 25, 2010 11:39 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - ...at what time should those opinions be silent? When they don't agree with yours?!? Peace out Sent from my iPhone On Mar 25, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Morgan wrote: Pam meant to precede her statement with "In my opinion". Opinion michael Mar 25, 2010 11:15 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Pam meant to precede her statement with "In my opinion". Opinions are like a##holes... everybody has one.. both should be kept quiet at times. Morgan Mar 25, 2010 11:12 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, beca user 3. Mar 25, 2010 10:40 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Pam, I'm hesitant to say anything because I'm not sure that I fully understand what it is you are trying to say.? But at the risk of tasting my own Sneakers...:-0? I would be more comfortable with your statement if you changed "Any&quo Greg Mar 25, 2010 10:37 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - I'm not so sure they have taken a stand. I think perhaps they are confused. So I was offering guidance, "Pick a side!" :) Sam Mar 25, 2010 9:33 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Any question about religion/spirituality you ask someone who hasn't taken a clear stand for themselves and shared it publicly is rude Pamela D. Mar 25, 2010 8:32 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - > I have met too many people who claim to be agnostics and in the next > breath > they say they are spiritual but not religious. To which I reply, "Pick a > side." > Is that rude? No. However, they did pick their side. Not atheist. p Mar 25, 2010 8:06 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - What about agnostic atheists? On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Morgan < [address removed] > wrote: Dmitry Mar 25, 2010 7:08 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - sorry --? my spelling error "a" instead of "an" On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Neal < [address removed] > wrote: Neal G. Mar 25, 2010 7:06 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - I have said the same thing. I have said that agnostics are cowards! However, I am usually careful about to whom I say such things. I think that atheists are under a level of discrimination that exceeds that of muslims. I worry about a backlash on my young Neal G. Mar 25, 2010 7:04 PM
Re: [atheists-36] HuffPo article - Met Paul Kurtz years ago... very nice man. I always tell agnostics that they are lazy atheists. On Ma Morgan Mar 25, 2010 6:58 PM

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy