add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Orlando Humanist Association Message Board › Catholic High School Education -Minus the religion

Catholic High School Education -Minus the religion

Joe M.
user 69649832
Orlando, FL
Post #: 2
I know a number of non believers who sent their children to Catholic High School for a good education. My question for our audience is about a student that I know, who is leaving her native country to attend a Catholic High School in Pennsylvania. She is 15 years old and tells me that is not a god believer. How can I best advise her on how to deal with the high number of students and faculty that will see her as very different because she is a non believer? She is the daughter of an associate and I am helping her prepare for her several years in the US. I really want the best for her.
Jack M.
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 946
First of all, having a parochial education is not necessarily going to give you a great education.

This is a myth!

Are the classes typically smaller? Yes, but that's because the schools are more expensive. Do these schools have stricter behavior rules (discipline) and implementation? Probably!

Basically, this young lady needs to be herself and not to pretend to be what they want you to be or to believe. Interestingly, she may find many other students at the school who have the same non-belief or critical thoughts.

Ironically, her attendance at this school may prove to make her more non-religious.
Carl A.
Oviedo, FL
Post #: 17
As the product of a Catholic High School in New Jersey, I received a mixture of religious exposure. My freshman year religion class consisted of daily readings from the Bible, which I found to be a complete waste of time. I eventually told this to the instructor, which explains my grade in the class. However, senior year honors level religion class covered comparative world religions. I consider this one of the best classes taken in high school. It opened my eyes to ideas beyond the parochial Catholic propaganda I had received in the past and started me on the path to critical thought and atheism. This school was run by a very dedicated group of educators in a Benedictine Monastery. The quality of education is very dependent on the quality of the educators.