Please RSVP to this event ONLY if you would be interested in a hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in March or April of 2014.
NOTE: answers to some of the questions we are getting will be added to the bottom of this event post. Last update - 2/5/2013.
It will include a 3-night stay at Phantom Ranch. This survey event will stay open for approximately 3 weeks to allow you time to respond. Responding to this event does NOT guarantee you a place on the trip nor does it obligate you in any way.
The hiking trip will be 4 days with 3 nights at Phantom Ranch. This is some preliminary information and you will be asked a set of questions when you RSVP so we can determine the level of interest in our club for this type of a trip.
- We will attempt to get a group reservation at Phantom Ranch in March of 2014. If we fail to get reservations in March, we might try again for April.
- We will hike down South Kaibab Trail on day 1. On days 2 and 3, we will explore trails accessible from the bottom of the canyon. On day 4 we will hike out Bright Angel Trail.
- We will request 3 nights but we will not specify the nights – if possible, we will allow them to select 3 nights that are available. We will not know the exact dates until the reservations are accepted and made.
- Travel arrangements before and after the hike will be the responsibility of those attending. Carpools may be available, but we will not be trying to do group reservations for any nights before or after the hike.
- A preliminary estimate for the cost of the hike and stay at Phantom Ranch, including breakfast and dinner each day, is $325 per person. This does not include transportation, lodging or meals outside of the hike and the stay at Phantom Ranch. This also does not include the cost of having your pack or duffle bag carried by mule, which currently is estimated at $65 each way.
- Once you have signed up for the hike and paid the amount due, there will not be refunds if you are unable to attend. Instead, you will need to find someone to take your place and collect the money from them. We will help as we can by posting that a spot is available, but the club cannot refund the money that they have already paid for the reservations.
For more information, see http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/phantom-ranch-704.html.
Q: What about the weather?
A: The weather at the bottom of the canyon is very similar to that of North Scottsdale. The weather at the top of the canyon, however, can be expected to be cold and often windy. Trail conditions near the top are likely to be snow-packed or icy. It is strongly suggested (if not mandatory) that all who attend will have at least micro spikes of some type for added traction.
Q: Why don't we know the dates in advance?
A: The demand for group reservations at Phantom Ranch is very high. We have to submit the request at midnight on March 1 for reservations in March of 2014. To increase our chance of getting a reservation, we will provide a list of dates instead of just one date. We will not know until the request is accepted what the dates will be for the trip.
Q: When will we know the dates?
A: If we get a reservation request accepted for March of 2014, we will know the dates sometime during March of this year. We should be notified within 2 to 3 weeks after we submit the request on March 1. The same would apply for an April reservation. We would know within 2 to 3 weeks after April 1 of this year.
Q: Why might it be April instead of March?
A: March is our first choice. If we fail, however, to obtain a reservation for March of 2014, we may try again on April 1 to get a reservation for sometime in April of 2014.
Q: Are there more "private" accommodations?
A: No. For a group reservation of 10 to 20 hikers at Phantom Ranch, 10 will be placed in a 10-person cabin. The remainder will be placed in the male or female dormitory.
Q: How many nights?
A: We are initially planning 4-days with 3-nights at Phantom Ranch. However, starting March 20, there is a limit of 2 nights for group reservations.
Q: What about refunds if I have to cancel?
A: For this event, there will be no refunds. If you need to cancel, however, you can try to find a replacement and we may be able to help you find one and arrange an introduction to someone who wants in. You could then take care of the financial transaction with them. We realize that Phantom ranch allows cancellations (different terms for individual reservations than group reservations). For this event, with the organizers paying for the deposit, etc., we prefer not to have to deal with moves and changes.
Q: What about a shorter stay? Can we stay just one night?
A: No, at least not as part of the group trip. We will be attempting to get a group reservation for either 3 nights or 2 nights. The purpose of this particular trip is to have a chance to explore some of the trails at the bottom of the canyon and not just hike in for one night and hike back out.
Q: I would like to go, but this trip doesn't exactly meet my expectations. What can I do?
A: Individual reservations can be made at Phantom Ranch or at the campground at the bottom. We will be unable to meet every person's expectations with a group trip. If you would like to take on the challenge of scheduling and hosting a different trip, please feel free to do so and let us know how we can help with that.