addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Grayslake Gamers Message Board › Traveller: old school sci-fi

Traveller: old school sci-fi

A former member
Post #: 15
So sorry about disappearing, I've been working a lot the past few months.

Anyway, I've been given the game-running bug again by my friends, who want me to run a Traveller game. For those who don't know (which may be most of you, I didn't know about it until I bought the core book), Traveller is the original science fiction RPGs. It is the D&D of sci-fi RPGs, it started it all. However, we will be using the newest edition, known as Mongoose Traveller, or MgT (after its publisher, Mongoose Publishing).

Mongoose Traveller is based on Classic Traveller, a 30 year old game that has gone through nearly a dozen different versions over that time-span, including the MegaTraveller, GURPS:Traveller, and Traveller:The New Era. The system is semi-classless. What this means is basically you go through your careers during character creation, then you retire into a life of adventuring. Most characters start off in their 30s with a plethora of skills. As a group you then decide how you are connected with other characters, and you get extra skill points for that. You only need 6-sided dice for this game, and only 2 for most things. Skills and attack rolls are 2d6+modifiers, with an average difficulty of 8.

The setting will be one of my own design, 4 space 'empires' who work together to keep the peace, and explore and colonize away from each other into the galaxy around them. I'll post more if there is interest.

I'm not totally sure what kind of campaign I will run, its really up to the players what they want. We could run the standard Traveller campaign of adventurers/merchants, or maybe military, or criminals, or bounty hunters, or mercenaries...or all of the above! The sky is the limit. I do have the fallback "unknown menace" storyline I tried once (in a campaign online which never got going) if no one has a preference.

Right now we have myself, the Referee (GM), and 2 friends as players. I'd really like 1-3 more players. And I'm still working on a date, it might be alternating Saturdays starting the 3rd of March.

So if anyone is interested, please let me know here.
Chris
Core-fire
Group Organizer
Grayslake, IL
Post #: 12

Would you like to post your game up. If so let me know.
A former member
Post #: 16
Lost internet for a while so I didn't see this post. Anyway, I was looking for some interest before I put up a time and place. Right now I'm pretty busy for the next week, so either I need someone to respond by Wednesday (the 7th) so I can start characters and campaign info Thursday (8th), or we'd have to go for a week from Sunday (Sun the 18th). From there we could go every other week, either sat or sun.

It would probably have to be in my house, since I doubt we could get a weekend spot at Unique Gifts & Games. Too many wargames.

If anyone is interested, please RSVP the suggested meetup I made. If I get just one more I'll probably run it. Two more and I'll definitely run it. Three or more and...well I doubt we'll get that, but one or two more is good.
A former member
Post #: 32
How often are you running this? It's a fairly long drive, but there's a possibility.....