Daniel
6andst1s
Jamaica Plain, MA
Post #: 43
Let me start by saying I'm alwasy impressed by everyone's willingness to share in the work, the grubbiness, and the rewards when we go on a dive. But it has been observed that we may want to also share in being responsible for our gas use. Some freegan groups (NYC) manage to dive without using car at all, and we have our pedestrian spots as well. But we have learned that population density often equals locked dumpsters, so we often find ourselves driving to outside of the city. Dave had two proposals that I only recently realized both touch on this issue:

1. A day or two (or three or...) before a meetup, the meetup host/organizer should email the "Yes" RSVP's with details about where they plan to go and by what means. As always, final attendees are welcome to suggest alternative places to hit if they have better ideas, though throwing such ideas out before the meetup would be most welcome! This way, we'll have a sense of how many miles we are going and drivers can decide if that's too far or ok.

2. Folks coming out for a drive-by dive should contribute $2 each to the driver. Priority will be given to folks who show up with $, and we'll reserve the right to not take anyone who can't come up with the $.

I did some math, and by my estimates, the most driving we've done in one night was probably 40 miles round trip. (Yikes! That surprised me! I'm glad that's our max.) At the current gas rate, assuming a 20mpg car, that's 2 gallons of gas, or $7. So $2 per person for a car of 4 is abouut right( consider the extra $0.25 each as going toward wear and tear on the car.) Also, when we succeed, I feel like everyone who wants to walks away with at least $2 in stuff. So this seems fair to me.

What do you all think?