addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Everybody!
I am writing a paper for my writing class about the freegan community. I wanted to include some interviews from various people. Would anyone mind answering a few of my questions and/or including some of their dumpster diving experiences?

How did you become familiar with the freegan movement?
How would you characterize yourself? are you an avid activist for anything, are you a vegan?
Describe the dumpster diving experience and could you share some of your own individual dumpster diving stories? What was your first dive like?
What are some of the most plentiful/upsetting locations that you have been to or frequently go to? What was there?
Describe a typical day for you and what you do that may differ from the mainstream as far as consuming.
Do you have a philosophy or one little tip that you encourage everyone to do in order to not waste as much?
What about dumpster diving would surprise most people?
are you affiliated with a specific group that goes on dives?
Is there usually an abundance of edible food?
What type of people go on dumpster diving tours?
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey there writer,

I just joined this group for dumpster diving and freegan community at MeetUp....you posted this message in early March, I hope it's not too late to send you some info about my experiences.

I always found inanimate objects extremely interesting. As a child I would collect little things, organize them according to my whims, moods, and collection themes. I loved disassembling things such as my mothers hair dryer, bikes, bureaus, and other found objects. I would often repair things I felt needed tending to. Later on in my life including today, I've discovered that these impulsive tendencies directed toward objects need to be refined and fed in order to thrive. By embracing this quality, I've discovered local groups and hot spots focused on low cost/up-cycle/re-cycle practices. I visit auctions, thrift shops, yard and garage sales on a rigorous schedule. I love to be a part of this freegan lifestyle. I've made it my own and it feels great to be a profitable consumer conscious collector.

I'm not an activist or veagan, but I believe in the founding principals of freeganism. The key is in the lifestyle and relating my personal philosophies with 'freeganism' to make it my own, make it work in my life, with my interests.

My fist dive was in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I furnished my entire apartment with found objects. It was also successful in construction as well as interior design for a small business restoration project I had been involved in. This was the most plentiful location I've found (worldwide) to date. I've joined this group to take advantage of my new location in Somerville MA.

I do not eat food from dumpsters. I did however work in a small family owned deli where we did share foods customers wouldn't be interested in (expiration dates close but NOT over). Customers tended to only purchase meats and dairy at least four days before the expiration date. We would take the rest and cook it either for the daily lunch menu or home for own own dinner! Filet mignon was one of the best cuts I took home on a regular basis.....sorry if your veagan, but my point is a highly sought after cut of meat or any high end product has a very short shelf life due to the expectations of the consumer.

I'd love to hear from you and possibly read your paper!

x Renee