Daniel
6andst1s
Jamaica Plain, MA
Post #: 9
I hope the recent online buzz translates into something real. I was pumped about this group a year ago, tried to go to two different events, and try to organize my own, and nobody else ever showed. I myself flaked on the last meetup because it was in Somerville, and not at a good time for me (my life is sadly conventional).

So I think I agree with Madeline, that if someone organizes something and people actually show up, maybe that will get the ball rolling.
I was wondering:

1. I really hope the Trader Joe's in August happens, and that I can make it. Can someone make that an official meetup with dates/times/meetup locations?

2. This is technically a big group with members spread out all over the greater Boston area. Would it make sense to have smaller, more local groups, like a Somerville group and a Boston group? Of course the downside of this approach is that this may translate into only the Somerville group being active.

3. Alternatively, can we try to mix up the location some? Cambridge is doable for me, Somerville less so. I know events are already rare, but how about some occasional Boston-proper action? I am glad that everything has at least been T-accessible so far.

4. As a lot of folks are not coming to events or throwing ideas out, would members like to sound off on their reservations/why they are not being more active? Maybe we can brainstorm past some of the roadblocks.

5. Someone mentioned mission impossible task force (was this a joke?). I am not up for that, but as far as expanding the freeganism theme, in California and France, there are organized modern-day gleaners who pick fruit from neighborhood trees. We could do that large scale through local groups like Earthworks, which grow orchards for residents to pick from, and small scale-mapping out our neighborhoods together and asking our neighbors if we can pick their fruit. I'd had 50-50 luck with this-a house with a fertile pear tree was very happy to let us take some pears, but nobody was home when I checked at a house with a peach tree whose peaches were simply falling and rotting behind the fence. Such a waste.

6. On that note, there's actually a movie about the French gleaners, and I think BPL carries it. Maybe folks need a get together to watch a movie or talk about food waste or other waste and ways to tackle it or the do's and don'ts of DD'ing or to work out hesitation or just to get to know each other so we know who we are looking for when we go on a dive?