addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Gaming in Western New York

Gaming in Western New York

A former member
Post #: 369
I believe I belong to, have belonged to and regularly attend more local gaming groups than anyone in WNY.
I'm currently a member of and/or regularly attend the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group, Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group. BACSIM, Rochester Boardgame Society, SARPA and The Ontario Settlers of Catan Meetup Group.
I ran events at UB Con I and have attended nearly every UB Con since.
I have attended every NBW since it's inception.
I was a member of the UB Gaming club that preceded SARPA [RoF].
When it comes to boardgaming in Western NY I've been active in the scene for >20 years.
Having had the time to attend this number of groups is one of the few benefits of being single.

The very nature of the Gaming Hobby is segmentation.
Go to a Major Gaming Convention and you'll see the organization:
Role Playing Games, Collectible Card Games, Board Games, Miniatures, etc.
Then each of these groups are broken up into subgroups.
And the subgroups are broken up again and again until you have the adherents of a single game or game system.

You can sit back and decry the division.
Or you can go out and celebrate the diversity.

You can be concerned about "all these other gamers" that aren't in the same group as you are in.
Or you can take the time and effort to go out and visit the other groups yourself and find out what they have going on.

As a member of the organizing committee for the most recently formed Boardgaming Group [The Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group] I was lobbying for that Group to have it's events listed under the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group. I supported that position until it was pointed out that there are local gamers that the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group is not meeting the needs of, gamers that have attended the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group and have not been back. To that end we're trying to differentiate ourselves from the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group. Not as a competitor, but as an alternative flavor.

We originally thought The Buffalo Card and Boardgames Group (Ages 30 and up) would be the Group to meet those needs. We found out that group wouldn't even meet our meager needs so we formed another group.

I hope some of you might stop by and see what we have going on.