addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 842
Has anyone played or is anyone interested in learning to play Mah Jongg? (the original game, not the computer tile matching game)

I recently purchased the game, and while the rules themselves are simple (get rid of your tiles by making sets and runs of 3 and a pair) the scoring itself is a bit complex. Perhaps for those interested we could learn the scoring together taking it in small steps until we've got it figured out. Any takers?
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 924
Count me in. I also bought a set becuase I love playing on the computer and that's when I found out it was two different games.
A former member
Post #: 46
I would definitely be in. I was asking around about MJ a couple months ago. Have you seen the MJ episode of boardgameswithscott? He gives a survey of the different traditions/approaches. Did you get a basic Chinese-style set or a tarted-up American version?
A former member
Post #: 844
I got a set that cost $110.00 bucks and comes with 156 tiles. There are many different versions or ways to play this game. Supposedly the American version is the most difficult to learn and score. I'm learning the classic Chinese version that only uses 136 tiles.
A former member
Post #: 47
Nice. For $110, you better get that on the table! I've just been watching tutorials on YouTube. Do you have a link for the rules you're learning? That way we could all be on the same page (assuming we find a fourth).
A former member
Post #: 845
I actually bought a book so I can better understand the scoring.

Rules are simple. Draw a tile, discard a tile, hand ends when someone goes out. Players are able to pick up the current players discard in order to meld a group of 3.

The trick to scoring well is understanding how best to score points based on what your collecting. That's what may take some time to understand. I'm sure it will come easy once many rounds are played.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 925
lol - Mike is now the official camel gamer? Poor Mike
So I'm a pirate engineer moneybags!!! he he he
A former member
Post #: 48
Rodney - Uh, yeah. I must have been reading the advanced rules.

Bobbie - You should know better than to mix alcohol and the internet!
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 915
Mike - I don't drink - Yes, I know its scarey, but this is indeed, sober!
I gravitate toward Pirate games, train games and my obsession with Monopoly. That's where my name came from. Is there something you want to say Camel boy?tongue

Rodney, I found a fourth. Ashley is definitely interested. Said he has wanted to learn for years. Peggy voiced some interest. Just pick a time. Just not this coming Tuesday - I have Aunt's 80th Birthday.
A former member
Post #: 388
I have an older bakelite set I picked up at an estate sale that's been collecting dust since I bought it. I have played the American version a decade or two back. I'm in! This coming Tuesday would be fine as it looks like we have >4 interested.