A former member
Post #: 63
I saw in the sidebar that there's another new meetup for boardgamers in Buffalo. Fun and Games for 30s, 40s, and 50s. I'm all about multiple opportunities to game, but this seems to be people who aren't at the other three. Do you think they are aware that the others are out there?
A former member
Post #: 501
I was going to join the new group and let them know about the others (and BACSIM), but then I thought about it. I don't think there's any way you could find that group and miss the others, so they must have some reason to have created a new group. I decided to wait 4 or 5 months and see if they're still functional. If they are, I may start updating BACSIM stuff there. Not that I *want* to post it on yet another group. Sigh.....

I have to admit that the proliferation of Meetup groups is somewhat disturbing, but I think it's not really my place to say how people should organize. I've decided to just let it go until a change proves to be necessary (if it ever does).

A former member
Post #: 6
I agree with Grant, I'm sure they know about us because some of the people who signed up are also members of our group. I'm just curious why Kim felt none of the other groups would suffice.
A former member
Post #: 402
I saw in the sidebar that there's another new meetup for boardgamers in Buffalo. Fun and Games for 30s, 40s, and 50s. I'm all about multiple opportunities to game, but this seems to be people who aren't at the other three. Do you think they are aware that the others are out there?

If they didn't, they do now courtesy of the "Other nearby Meetup Groups" sidebar you noticed them in.

I think there's room for another Group. After all, there are 112 local peeps who want a Boardgames Meetup smile

I don't see the need for centralized organization.

I don't see the need to put everyone under one roof.

In fact, I'm sure everyone under one roof would be uncomfortable for some.

There's something to be said for smaller more flexible organizations as opposed to bloated bureaucracies.

Maybe there's a reason they formed their own distinct group.

I recall a similar discussion back when we were forming wink
A former member
Post #: 403
.....I have to admit that the proliferation of Meetup groups is somewhat disturbing, but I think it's not really my place to say how people should organize. I've decided to just let it go until a change proves to be necessary (if it ever does).

You're at least right about it not being your place.
And if you didn't decide to "just let it go" what would you have done?
A hostile takeover of their group? confused
A former member
Post #: 26
I heard from the organizer of the new group, Kim. She seems to be a really nice lady. Here is her description of her group:

"We are hoping to keep the meetings in the city of Buffalo (but it really depends on members' desires). We will be playing "party games." [Balderdash, Scattergories, Imagine If, Pictionary, Scruples, Rumikub, Battle of the Sexes and the like]. We won't be playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, Euro games (whatever they are) nor card games. We want to keep it open to adults only. "

I have often said that each of the groups here in town have a different "flavor". Some people prefer one flavor all the time, others prefer a variety and as such, each of the groups already here had their place. This is just a new flavor, new location, new agenda. I don't believe that they are a "threat" to anyone and we should welcome them, welcome the variety and the new opportunities to game!! ((YIPPEE!!)
A former member
Post #: 504
I would have joined their group and advocated my position of course Tom! In this case, I was going to join the group and make sure they knew of the other groups and the existing potential. If they stick around for a while I will join and update them on BACSIM events.

I don't have any particular problem with the multiple groups, although it seems a bit silly to be paying Meetup for 4 different groups that essentially do the same thing, just on different nights. If you will, it's kinda like having a different meetup for each night of the week and each different location. I can still see the argument for having them seperate as an "advertising" method to each specific crowd, but I'd hate to see the fractured nature of the calendars keeping people from finding game opportunities. After all, *none* of the current groups would have a problem with people playing the games that this new group is proposing. I'm glad to see that the original group and the BGPG group are cross posting their events. It can only benefit all the groups to make sure that everyone can see all the options. This is why I keep people up to date on BACSIM, even if it seems to be not exactly what they're aiming for. I heartily encourage people to play whatever they want, and if they want a table for Scattegories (or whatever), I'm going to give it to them.
A former member
Post #: 70
I went to their first game night and Kim and her sister like more of the casual and party games and didn't want to worry about card games and euro games and such. They want to just be another option for people that want to play casual games and also, they live in Buffalo and noticed this group and Donna's group meet in Tonawanda area and played a mixture of card and casual and euro. Kim just thought she'd give another option for people that didn't want to go there.

Me... I think the more game groups and public game nights the better! I'm glad to see so many people trying game nights. I just wish I could split myself into 2 or 3 clones so I could get work done and attend all the game nights :) With the internet, it's easy to get a small group of people together. Not like the old days where I mainly played games and learned of new games at conventions and in the dark and dingy game/hobby shops that the casual game types didn't like going to :)

-Tim
my bloggy
A former member
Post #: 507
Presuming that all the different nights and events draw enough people to remain healthy, I'm all for them. Unfortunately I've seen small groups fall apart when they become too fractured. This happened to both the Rochester and Buffalo Mini's gaming groups. Now, if it ends up that there are several hundred local board gamers, then many groups are unlikely to be a problem. If there are only 40 in the Buffalo area though, then it *could* be an issue. I don't really know one way or the other. Ideally we would end up pulling in many new people and the whole scene thrives. Compared to 5 or 6 years ago, we seem to be on that kind of trajectory, so I do have some good feelings for how things are going. NBW and BACSIM seem to be growing nicely, and the new and old clubs seem healthy as far as I've seen. So far so good. biggrin

Don't forget to come to BACSIM on March 7th! biggrin