Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › If you're new to gaming or boardgames at Meetup, here's what to expect...

If you're new to gaming or boardgames at Meetup, here's what to expect...

A former member
Post #: 31

Someone new to this group recently contacted me and asked what to expect if they come to our meetup. I thought maybe I should post this for anyone who might be new, either to gaming or this boardgame group in particular. Different groups may do things differently, so this information applies to this group only. If I haven't answered all your questions, please feel free to ask.

Paneras generously lets us use their facility to play games so I will usually try to buy something, either dinner, a drink (bottomless coffee and softdrinks are available) or maybe just grab a dessert at some point in the evening. The food is awesome and reasonably priced. Other than this, there is no cost to play with us.

Generally, people start showing up about 6 and will often buy something to eat or drink. Discussion is had about what to play. Games usually start around 6:30. As you enter Paneras, there is a large table off to your left that we often use. Many of us bring piles of games so it won't be hard to find us. Paneras lets us play until about 10pm. You can join us for just one game or stay all evening.

There are often two or three groups of people playing different games. The games range from simple card games to regular boardgames to the lighter eurogames. There are not a lot of word-type games like scrabble or party-type games like Balderdash.

Depending on the length of the game, you'll likely play two or three games in an evening. You may play with the same 3 or 4 people all evening or the groups may shift. It's a bit difficult to shift around some nights if one group's game runs longer than the other but sometimes it works out that they are finishing up at about the same time and people move from one group to another.

We have some games we play a lot and others might be new. There are always people who haven't played before so you will not be the only one who might need to learn a game or two. There is a core group of 3 or 4 people in this group who have been gaming a long time and we love to bring in new people to play with us, so newbies are always welcome.

We are also open to learning new games so feel free to bring a favorite game or two of your own. I hope you'll come by to see us, any Tuesday or Saturday at 6.

Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 91
Nice post. I think this group (every group?) needs a mission statement/FAQ/sounding board post stickied to the top of the forum.