Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Different location

Different location

A former member
Post #: 3
How come it's always the same place how about a different area I'm sure there's plenty also it makes it hard for people to travel!!!!
A former member
Post #: 34
I've already answered this question privately to Michael, but I guess I should also answer it publicly now that he has posted to this board.

I am very happy with our Tuesday and Saturday meetings at Panera's Kenmore. It is the favored place by the majority of our members, for many reasons. I also very much like having a set place and a set time so people can plan on us always being there.

That said, I am also open to other members making arrangements for meetups at different times and locations. I suggested to Michael that he select a location and a night and I would put it on the calendar and help him promote it. He said that he didn't feel that he could do that at this time.

I am not willing to change our existing calendar, but if anyone would like us to add events to our calendar, and are willing to help make it happen, I'm more than happy to assist.

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 994
I would luv to see a location closer to me utilized in the Southtowns once in awhile. However with that being said, I also understand that the majority of players are from the Northtowns so attendance would suffer if gaming occurred on a regular basis in the Southtowns. Also its not that easy to find a location that will allow us to use there facilities to game on a regular basis. And those that will are not always the best suited locations for gaming.

You will never be able to please everyone within the group. Were all on different schedules and what works for one will not work for another. All you can do is go with what works for majority.
Tom D
TheIronMeeple
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 425
I agree with the idea of having a regular meeting location. I also think having at least *some* of our meetings in public locations [as opposed to private residences] will help prospective members get over the fear of meeting new people. However, I am not sold on Panera's as our regular gaming site. Their hours cramp our playing time on both Tuesdays and Saturdays. Their idea of reserving the big table for us is if and when it's convenient for them. I just don't get the feeling they're willing to go out of their way to retain our business. I disagree w/ Peggy's assertion that it is the favored site by the majority of our members. I think it is what we are settling for until we can find better. I know of at least two other members who have looked for replacement meeting places to Panera's. Unfortunately, Panera's still has our business until we can find a better location. If anyone has any ideas on a better site, please share them. I am looking forward to trying out gaming sessions at private residences scheduled through Meetup. There are benefits to gaming at someone's house that would be impossible to recreate at a public location. I'm anxious to see how they work out.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 978
I personally do not like going to people's houses.
1.) I mostly come from work and I need to eat dinner. I can't do that somebody's house and the time frame from work to when we play doesn't allow any dinner time.
2.) Usually, when you go to someone's house for this type of thing, you are dealing with folding chairs. My back and folding chairs just don't mix. The arthritis in my spine is bad enough without aggravating the situation on a chair with no back support.
3.) I don't like to go to people's houses unless it is someone I am extremely comfortable with as a friend. I feel like I am imposing and I just don't like it. Never have.

Never been a great fan of parties either.
A former member
Post #: 80
My blog game nights meet at all different locations around the Buffalo area. I'll keep Peggy and Bobbie posted so they can let people know too if they want to stop by. I only have them every couple months but the last one was in Lewiston at a Library community room that stayed open late for us and the next will be in the Orchard Park area. A blog reader also suggested the community room at their assisted living facility and I think that's a great idea too. I hope to have them all over and different places to show that game nights can be held at other places than houses or cafe's. I think with all the board game groups in Buffalo... which is great, there are lotsa options for people.

-Tim
A former member
Post #: 248
It's a shame that your lat event wasn't crossposted to the other groups. I live in lewiston and would have loved a chance to play at the library (I can practically throw a rock from work and hit the library). I can't keep track of everything in all the groups so stuff gets missed. sad

My blog game nights meet at all different locations around the Buffalo area. I'll keep Peggy and Bobbie posted so they can let people know too if they want to stop by. I only have them every couple months but the last one was in Lewiston at a Library community room that stayed open late for us and the next will be in the Orchard Park area. A blog reader also suggested the community room at their assisted living facility and I think that's a great idea too. I hope to have them all over and different places to show that game nights can be held at other places than houses or cafe's. I think with all the board game groups in Buffalo... which is great, there are lotsa options for people.

-Tim

bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 980
It's a shame that your lat event wasn't crossposted to the other groups. I live in lewiston and would have loved a chance to play at the library (I can practically throw a rock from work and hit the library). I can't keep track of everything in all the groups so stuff gets missed. sad

-Tim

Ben, Just so you don't feel left out, Tim trys to "spread the wealth". Not everybody gets invited to everything because of space issues. I didn't know anything about the Lewiston Library thing or I would have told you. For his events, the best place is on his blog, that way you know everything he is putting on. He usually has to turn people away.
He's a popular boy, our Tim!!!
A former member
Post #: 83
Thanks bobbie. The last game night I arranged was on a Tuesday, the same night this group meets, and it was the only night the library could stay open late. I didn't post it here because I didn't want to step on any toes, but in retrospect I should have known all you cool gamer people here would not have been upset to see a game night on the same night... silly me : ) from now on I'll try to keep everyone posted.

But Bobbie is right, my blog is the best place for game nights I arrange. They are different in that I play a couple games companies send for the game nights and give them away at the end of the night. You can also join me on Facebook to see updates and event pages. I'd love to see you at a future game night. I like spreading the wealth :)

-Tim
my blog

Facebook
Lana
puddlediving
East Aurora, NY
Post #: 76
Tonight we talked about Wegman's on Alberta Drive. This seems viable, and I would be willing to try it out. Or even the Wegman's on Amherst (although smaller). Alberta Drive would be even further from the southtowns, but would have the added benefits of: no closing time; more food options; employee contact can be kept to necessity only.

Tonight we stopped by just as people were leaving with their Scrabble board. Marley didn't like the fact that there were no large tables, so we would usually need to put tables together. I went there after 10p, so I don't know what kind of traffic the area would get earlier in the evening. When we stopped by there were three tables of people with laptops in each of the open table sections. I liked the area in the back corner, but I would find the television to be a distraction. There didn't appear to be an area supervisor on duty to ask about the possibility of reserving an area. I'm willing to pursue this in more detail if others are interested/willing to try a new location.

Lana