Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Scrabble Fest for Literacy

Scrabble Fest for Literacy

A former member
Post #: 51
I received this message from Literacy Volunteers of Buffalo & Erie County's Scrabble Fest.

I'm not much of a Scrabble person so I am not really interested in working with this but I thought I'd post it in case someone else wants to get involved. I didn't post her email address but I have it in case you are interested in contacting her.

She writes:

One in three residents of the City of Buffalo is functionally illiterate.

I'm on the committee for Literacy Volunteers of Buffalo & Erie County's Scrabble Fest, which is a fun fundraising effort that encourages people and businesses in the community to host Scrabble parties in January and February. It's an easy and fun way to help fund the fight against illiteracy.

I'm contacting you because I thought this might be a great meetup idea for your Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group. If you're interested, you can either email me back and I'll set you up with a packet, or you can fill out the form at the attached link. Either way, we'll send you everything you'll need to host the party (post cards, donation sheets, instructions.).

Thank you for considering this opportunity to help our community. Please pass this on to anyone else who may be interested.

http://www.literacybu...­

http://www.twitter.co...­
http://www.facebook.c...­

--
Regards,
Kelly

Kelly E. Papke | Copywriter & Social Media Strategist
Quinlan & Company - Full-Service Advertising Agency
385 North French Road, Suite 106 | Amherst, NY 14228-2096 USA
Office: 716.691.6200 | Fax: 716.691.2898 |
Twitter: www.twitter.com/KPapke
A former member
Post #: 93
I plan to participate in the event on Monday at Campieri's. Wish me luck and/or join me!

Lana
A former member
Post #: 34
Good Luck.

Go get 'em champ! ;)
A former member
Post #: 35

A former member
Post #: 55
Lana - I'm sorry we couldn't join you on Monday. Please share with us how things went?
A former member
Post #: 94
I had a good time doing the Scrabble fest. I recruited a friend, and later found out another was also going (Lenore). There were only 14 of us, so 7 games going. We played 2 games, 45 minutes allowed for each. Opponents were shuffled between games.

My first game I won, against a guy who is a regular in Scrabble club. My second game I lost. Big time. Towards the end, I left the triple word score open, and my opponent played "regional" across two triples. It was also a bingo. Not only secured the game, but secured her victory for the evening.

My two game total was 608. Certainly respectable. The winner was over 700 (thanks to the triple, triple bingo I set up for her!)

I definitely want to do this again next year. Maybe we could have our own Scrabble qualifying round, rather than me needing to seek out a public game. Of course, Campieri's had amazing pizza. What a bonus!