A Call For Teachers - Want To Share a Skill or Project With the Group?
Friday, March 27, 2009 8:28 AM
Hello fellow urban homesteading enthusiasts, and welcome all new members!
I'll be gone on vacation starting at the end of the day, but we do have a compost bin building event going on this weekend. After that the schedule is wide open.
I thought about having a cheese making class, but the only thing we could really make in a single day would be mozzarella. Anyone interested in that? While doing this project I could show you a small wheel of cheddar I have aging, and could show you my cheese press in case you wanted to make your own.
We can get started with canning in the fall, and maybe we can set up a trade-your-time deal where we each help each other with gardens.
Here are some ideas. Let me know if you have experience with these and would like to host an event:
- Building a solar food dehydrator (I'm particularly interested in the Appalachian design)
- Building a solar food cooker
- Building a solar water heater (old water tank inside a box with a glass lid?)
- Butchering (I know this could be a touchy subject for some, but many of us are omnivores and I'd be happier eating meat when I know exactly where it came from and that it lived a happy life)
- Canning (This may have to wait until fall)
- Drying fruits / making fruit leathers
- Showing a LIVE bee hive and discussing the ins and outs of keeping bees (how to find a queen, etc...)
- Anything else you want to put forward!
If you have an idea and would like to host, please provide your name, phone number, email address and the time/date you would like to host the group.