Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › Looking for resources for chicken slaughter

Looking for resources for chicken slaughter

Sundari K.
user 5712145
Denver, CO
Post #: 55
Hi all,

I'm putting together information for the public regarding our proposed new Food-Producing Animals ordinance. One of the questions we get asked most often is about what chicken owners can do once their chickens stop laying. (The new ordinance continues the current policy of not allowing on-site slaughtering in a residential district.)

If you know of facilities or individuals who are willing to process chickens in the general central-ish Colorado area, would you please let me know! This information will be very helpful as we work to pass the Food-Producing Animals ordinance!

Thanks,
Sundari
A former member
Post #: 6
Sundari - my husband hunts (birds and big game) and we were planning on processing our own chickens. When we have a couple under our belts, we might be willing to host a class or something like that, if people are interested. We live in Englewood, so it would be small scale, not like a processing facility or something.
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 14
Sundari,

This one isn't close to Denver, but they are a lic. processor here in N. Colorado. The owner is fantastic and their prices are great. http://www.localharve...­.
Northern Colorado Poultry processors, I think they are the only one N. of Denver otherwise I think the next would be near the Springs.

Jennifer
Sundari K.
user 5712145
Denver, CO
Post #: 56
Anisa -- I know that a class like that would be very popular! Let me know when you feel that you're ready, and I'll also try to follow up with you.

Jennifer -- Thanks so much for the tip!!
Laura H.
user 12890839
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 7
I would be interested in such a class.
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 15
I too would be interested in a class, for my future plans as well. I somehow don't think it's the same as gutting a fish. smile and would prefer to take my chickens from egg to table on my own. I only decided to raise some meat birds when I found the processor, knowing that I wouldn't be permitted to do it myself.
Laura H.
user 12890839
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 8
Jennifer, that localharvest link is not working.
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 17
Laura,

Their I think their site is down today, but either way here is the info. They are very nice. The owners family raises meat birds and sells them at the farmers market in Fort Collins he also has a chicken co-op that I think is pretty cool.

Northern Colorado Poultry
18920 County Road 100
Nunn, CO 80648-9710
Greeley, CO Metro Area
Phone: (970) 897-2721
Laura H.
user 12890839
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 9
Thanks!

What about meat rabbits? Anyone one know about people/facilities for rabbits?
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 18
Laura,

Give them a call, I think I read recently that they would be processing rabbits as well. It made me consider raising them as well.