add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Seth C
user 9716219
Littleton, CO
Post #: 17
I have the "usual suspects" (strawberry, raspberry, rhubarb, asparagus) looking what works in our area an may be a bit on the unknown/under used side.
put walking onions and gooseberry in last year
was think about native/beach plumb, nanking cherry, sunchokes, and elder berry..
I just bumped in to hardy kiwi @ a local nursery and was sceptically, but internet and 1800 call mom (tuns out she grows males for foliage in Z4) seems like they would work. they benefit form a bit of shade ad would workout great on my east facing fence.
what are people growing on the unusual side ..
A former member
Post #: 5
Just remember they are not drought tolerant
A former member
Post #: 20
Try currant, blue honeysuckle (like blueberries), sea buckthorn, and sorrel.

There's a Perennial Vegetables book by Eric Toensmeier, but a lot of them either don't grow here or are very unusual. For example, you can eat daylily buds like green beans. Buds can also be dried and are apparently used in Chinese food as "golden needles." The flowers can be used in salads or battered and fried.

Seth C
user 9716219
Littleton, CO
Post #: 18
blue honeysuckle is right up the line I was looking for.. I had bumped in to it before but don't know why I had discounted/not thought about it.
I picked up the book on ebay a while back, still waiting for it to arive
ramps came in on sat, kiwi today
hopefully Chinese yams will come in some time this week..
Gurneys had a big sale... got 3 naking,1 Carmine Jewel, 2 native plums, 3 Caroline raspberry, + some sun chokes for around $65 shipped, that should fill they yard for bit