Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 86
I got stung on my ankle while checking on my bee hive Saturday evening, then went about the rest of my tasks that evening, which included making a wheel of Brie. Around 11 on Sunday I noticed I had a welt around the sting about the size of my palm. It seemed kind ofbad for a bee sting but I figured it was okay, I just needed to drink a lot of water. But by last night my whole foot and half my leg was swollen! I was elevating and icing it, but it wasn't helping. When I woke up this morning it was still swollen and was starting to blister. I went into urgent care and they said it was a very bad infection and that you don't normally get infections from bee stings. They gave me a shot of antibiotics and some oral antibiotics and I left. It wasn't until a few hours later that I started thinking, " what if I had some of the flora Danica I was using to make the cheese on my hands and I scratched the sting? Is that what caused the infection?"
What do you guys think the chances are? I do a lot of hand washing while cheese making, but I suppose something could have survived. Of course, maybe there was garden soil under my nails, but I would have thought I would have scrubbed that away before cheese making. It's a little silly to think I've got Brie leg, LOL. It still looks mega gross though.
Maggie R
user 10683417
Denver, CO
Post #: 19
Hi Jessica, Couple weeks ago I got stung working my hives. They stung thru my gloves and my jeans -- have since changed gloves and wear 2 pair of pants BUT - there was a sting similar to what you write on my calf. I now wear Wellingtons (knee high) when I work the hives. I figured the bee had to go up my pant leg and down the boot to get the place I was stung. It was swollen - red - hot -- and I started taking antibiotics - using Thieves oil on the site - and ice. My friend looked at the site and saw a black spot -- so I figure (finally) that it was a spider in my Wellington (which I store in the garage). You could be allergic to bee stings - or it could've been something like a spider. I think you were headed towards cellulitis (sp) as was I. Don't know if it was the same cause but it seems to have a been a similar wound. Hope all is well now.
Maggie R
user 10683417
Denver, CO
Post #: 20
PS - are you going to teach a cheese workshop IN THE NEAR FUTURE - PLEASE!
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 87
Ha ha! First let's see how successful I am as a cheesemaker for this very large project I'm working on. And do you really want to learn the art of cheese making from someone who almost turned her leg into a cheese log? :-)
I feel pretty confident it was a bacterial infection, in part because it's reaction to the antibiotic was so fast and intense. Oh my God, I've never itched so much in my life! And the swelling reduced immediately. The doctor at urgent care said it was't an allergic reaction either. I think she was afraid of MRSA. Nope, just flora Danica from the new England cheese making supply company. LOL!
I told the story on OffbeatBride.com, and I think I might win a prize for worst DIY wedding disaster ever! Ha ha!
Marsha
rugbymom101
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Ditto on a class on cheesemaking!
Cynthia
user 11414157
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
I was stung by a bee in September and within a day I was in the emergency room for cellulitis! Because the bee sting happened at work, I was sent to a workman's comp dr. who promptly looked at the sting, declared it was beyond her expertise and pushed me past those waiting in the ER. The ER physician took one look at it, stopped talking to me and ordered an IV set up STAT. Apparently it was headed right on over to a blood infection.

Fast forward June of this year. Stepped on a bee, stung on bottom of foot. Fine. Itchy still, but no infection.

Dr. suspects the bee had some type of pollen or something that caused the infection. Glad to hear you are okay now.
Sara S.
user 8914844
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
Jessica,

The exact thing happened to my dd in Germany last month. We ended up in a German hospital and they too treated her for cellulitis. After speaking to the pediatrician they thought it was unnecessary for us to worry about an epi-pen as the reaction occurred over a few days and didn't include her respiratory system. The skin on her arm is still slightly red and this happened a month ago. We thought it was caused by the mud we put on the sting that perhaps we caused the infection, but the docs all assured me serious allergic reactions are unusual but can happen.

I hope you heal quickly!

Take care,

Sara
Powered by mvnForum

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy