A former member
Post #: 5
I was a member of the Englewood Garden Club years ago. Actually tomatoes are very easy as long as you do several key things.

1. Always cycle their watering. They can get semi dry because that is when they get air for the roots.
2. Never plant in the same place year to year. (fungus goes into the ground. If you get leaf wilt abandon that spot for next year and carefully dispose of any cuttings.
3. Never use used foliage for compost.
4. Never allow any leaves to grow near or touch the ground. Train them up up up.
5. In addition you may put down around the plant some type of ground cover like tar paper but inspect for tomato worms often.
6. Remember if it is lower than 55 degrees at night your flowers will probably NOT set fruit.
7. If you transplant from seedlings you should trim all fruit and plant 2/3 down in the ground and only 1/3 above ground. Tomatoes do not care where the root zone starts.
8. Remember that there are varieties breed for resistance to disease. I like Celebrity. This year Brandy wine heirlooms worked also but I have never planted them in the past because I distrusted my soil for the various fungus.
9. If you do get leaf wilt start pruning like crazy with clippers dipped in alcohol before going to the next plant. Carefully dispose of the offending leaf wilt, burning or preferably the trash.

Catherine A.
user 7217766
Arvada, CO
Post #: 42
This year my Black Sea Man tomatoes did not produce nearly as well as I had hoped but this August was the hottest on record for Colorado (most days over 90 degrees). I know I was not enjoying the heat, so I'm sure they were suffering too. The super dry conditions haven't helped any either.