addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › Coop and Run size in Denver

Coop and Run size in Denver

Rick M.
hapedad
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
I am looking for clarification on the size of coop and run for chickens in Denver. Documentation states 16 sq. ft. per chicken in permeable space. For the max of 8 chickens I am interpreting this to need an 8' x 16' run. Am I calculating correctly? Or can you get away with less if I build a tractor?

thanks for any insights...
A former member
Post #: 1
That math sounds right to me.
Sundari K.
user 5712145
Denver, CO
Post #: 72
Here's the scoop... The ordinance requires that you have 16 square feet of permeable space per bird. So, 128 square feet for 8 chickens. However, it is not specifying that the run needs to be that size -- just that your *have* that space and that the chickens get access to it sometimes. If you can build the a 128 square foot run that's terrific, but if you need to do a smaller run and just allow them out into the yard sometimes to roam, that's fine too.

http://eatwhereulive....­
Rick M.
hapedad
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
Thank you Sundari...I was reading the ordinance both ways and could find nothing definitive elsewhere...I appreciate your assistance in clarifying. Sorry we can't make your class tonight. Will have to catch a future one.

Here's the scoop... The ordinance requires that you have 16 square feet of permeable space per bird. So, 128 square feet for 8 chickens. However, it is not specifying that the run needs to be that size -- just that your *have* that space and that the chickens get access to it sometimes. If you can build the a 128 square foot run that's terrific, but if you need to do a smaller run and just allow them out into the yard sometimes to roam, that's fine too.

http://eatwhereulive....­