Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Propose Meetups - Volunteer to Host › Looking for Ideas on Topic and Place of Next Meetup

Looking for Ideas on Topic and Place of Next Meetup

A former member
Jennifer and family are installing a a bee hive next month and I'm hoping some of us can watch!

But it's also time to restart the composting efforts and get some cold-weather, cold frame or greenhouse seedlings out. Sundari set up a greenhouse recently with her group of Heirloom Gardeners so maybe she'd be interested in overseeing a greenhouse for our group. Whoever pays for the supplies can get the greenhouse and everyone else can help build it so they know how to build their own!

So here's what I'm looking for: Volunteers!

Who wants to volunteer to buy supplies for a cold frame so we can all come over and help build it?
Who knows how to build one and is willing to be foreperson on the project?

Who wants to volunteer to buy supplies for a PVC greenhouse so we can all come over and help build it?

Who wants to volunteer to buy or salvage supplies for a raised square foot garden so we can all come over and help build it?

Also looking for someone who wants to show everyone how to do indoor worm composting without creating a stink, and someone who wants to show people how to build composting bins out of used wooden skids.

I know Sundari's group is doing some living mulch projects, and I'm interested in checking one of those out as well. Feel free to see her group about that, or volunteer to put in a living mulch as part of this group.

When volunteering to host or teach an event please be sure to include a date, time and location so I can go ahead and schedule it. I'd like to see our calendar full of events so people can pick and choose what they want to be involved in.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hi all, I was not able to come to the meeting last saturday, but my sister Katie (the vet) was there. We are planning to build a cold frame and several raised beds so I would be more than happy to volunteer to buy supplies and host a building party complete with refreshments. My house is in the Highlands near 32nd and Lowell.

Marybeth
Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 43
In order to keep these message boards tight, I'm moving the posts from another thread to this one
Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 44
Terri V wrote:
Crop rotation and companion planting?

Brenda wrote:
I second companion planting, or high density gardening

Molly
user 8933341
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hey all,

I am a Master Composter through the Denver Urban Gardens/City and County of Denver. I would be happy to have a meetup at my place for composting. I have built a skid compost bin in my back yard and am planning to build a worm bin this spring. I also know someone who would like to build a skid bin in their yard so maybe we could help with that and get some hands on experience. I'll get back to you on date and time.

Molly
A former member
Post #: 14
When volunteering to host a meetup please include the Date, Time and Location so I can schedule it. You can email me those details directly if you don't want them on the message boards (which can only be viewed by members): everett@usrecallnews.com .

Thanks!
Shannon T.
user 8876751
Littleton, CO
Post #: 2
Is anyone interested in building a solar dehydrator? This could be a fun and cheap experiment. I would also like to build a solar oven if anyone is interested.

Shannon

Monica
user 9017208
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
Hi guys!

One of the projects I want to pursue is building a shade cloth structure over my garden. It is located in full sun and I've found that my plants don't like that all too much!! Plus it is a drain on water, so I am willing to buy the supplies to build some sort of hoop structure over my garden over which to secure the shade cloth, but I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out what I need to do exactly. I've got plenty of ideas, and I am on a budget so that makes it tough also, but I think it is fun to use one's creativity.

Also would like to build an irrigation system for my garden, but not sure how to go about that either. Thinking about using PVC piping, but wonder if that affects the pressure, and how effective are soaker hoses? These are the less exciting but very important aspects of running a garden I suppose, let us just say I wish I'd thought of these things sooner! Like, before I built my garden?! LOL

Another topic related to the above, is dealing with Colorado's arid conditions and how to offset the effect of drought? Just an idea, I am still working on figuring it out myself, but I just spent today mulching my entire yard, so I am going to see if this helps..
A former member
Post #: 15
Is anyone interested in building a solar dehydrator? This could be a fun and cheap experiment. I would also like to build a solar oven if anyone is interested.

Shannon

Shannon - I'd be interested in participating in both projects. Do you have the tools and supplies necessary for this?

Has anyone in the group built a successful solar dehydrator or solar oven that could be replicated? I'd be willing to put in some time to assist in exchange for learning how to build either of these.

PS: I heard you shouldn't use galvanized metal (like window screens) for the dehydrators? What else would you use?
A former member
Post #: 5
I would think you would want to use stainless steel screen for your solar dehydrator.

I built a popcan solar hot air heater that could be used as a dehydrator. you can see how I built it at
my website http://www.coloradowi...­

it was real cheep to build

check it out. It is a fast project, I built mine in just 2 hrs or so.

If anyone is interested I would be willing to help build one

the building materials are simple

lots of pop cans

2x6 wood

sheet of plywood 1/4" or 3/8" 1/2" what ever you have laying around

BBQ flat black spray paint

expanding foam

a single pane of glass (non uv)

in the photos I used Styrofoam .. I would not use it again It cant handle the extream heat

I also used a small solar panel to run a small computer case fan. under 20 bucks at harbor freight.

I built mine for under 20 bucks.. but i have the wonderful ability to scrounge for junk.

so let me know if anyone is interested in building one for a food dehydrator.

Bryan smile