addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Propose Meetups - Volunteer to Host › A Call For Teachers - Want To Share a Skill or Project With the Group?

A Call For Teachers - Want To Share a Skill or Project With the Group?

A former member
Hello fellow urban homesteading enthusiasts, and welcome all new members!

I thought about having a cheese making class, but the only thing we could really make in a single day would be mozzarella. Anyone interested in that? While doing this project I could show you a small wheel of cheddar I have aging, and could show you my cheese press in case you wanted to make your own.

We can get started with canning in the fall, and maybe we can set up a trade-your-time deal where we each help each other with gardens.

Here are some ideas. Let me know if you have experience with these and would like to host an event:

- Building a solar food dehydrator (I'm particularly interested in the Appalachian design)

- Building a solar food cooker

- Building a solar water heater (old water tank inside a box with a glass lid?)

- Butchering (I know this could be a touchy subject for some, but many of us are omnivores and I'd be happier eating meat when I know exactly where it came from and that it lived a happy life)

- Canning (This may have to wait until fall)

- Drying fruits / making fruit leathers

- Showing a LIVE bee hive and discussing the ins and outs of keeping bees (how to find a queen, etc...)

- Anything else you want to put forward!

If you have an idea and would like to host, please provide your name, phone number, email address and the time/date you would like to host the group.

Thanks!

Everett
Shannon T.
user 8876751
Littleton, CO
Post #: 6
Hi Everett

Do you have a link to the Appalachian design on the solar dehydrator?

I am interested in everything you have mentioned.

I also would like to add soap making. I plan on making my first batch of lye soap on Monday. Hope I don't blow up the house HA HA.

Today I decided to try making homemade tortillas. I made flour and corn. They both turned out well but the corn ones are easier!!! I would like a cooking day on homemade meals made from the essentials if anybody is interested. I never really used to cook from my pantry. If I needed something I just got it. Now I am trying to have a stocked pantry of essentials and to cook from the pantry as much as possible. Right now I am bit limited on ideas and thought other people would probably have some great staple recipes. Bread recipes for high altitude would be great also. Maybe we could post a recipe thread??

Also does anybody here store water? I know you can only store for so long and I think you put in a small amount of bleach. Does anybody currently store water?

Here is a quick snap shot of the garden In My Dads front yard that we are setting up. We installed irrigation on a timer and filled the box with a 70/30 organic garden mix. I got over zealous and planted the spinach and then got a snow storm but I think it will be OK because I covered them with a plywood top. The video is just a test with my new digital video camera I got for my bday.

Shannon

David B.
DavidBraden
Group Organizer
Golden, CO
Post #: 7
Thought you might be interested in building sheet mulching beds - no-till, deep mulch. There is an event this coming Saturday where I can show you how those work out. See the details on the Transition Colorado event calendar.

following is the sheet mulching event in Extreme Gardening :-).

A former member
Post #: 1
Being spring this is far from everyone's mind, but looking towards fall: how to bring vegetable gardening indoors.
I have worked with most plant varieties indoors so I am happy to share experiences. You can have a freshly picked salad in february...even in an apartment. No reason to be eating lettuce shipped from mexico this time of year!!

Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
I like the soap making idea and the growing indoors idea. I don't know if there's much I could teach. Maybe beginners knitting, crochet or sewing, but I'm sure there are people in this group who are far better knitters, crocheters or sewers than I am who would be far better suited to teach those classes!
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
I like the soap making idea and the growing indoors idea. I don't know if there's much I could teach. Maybe beginners knitting, crochet or sewing, but I'm sure there are people in this group who are far better knitters, crocheters or sewers than I am who would be far better suited to teach those classes!

I can (and have) taught knitting, so I would be happy to teach anyone who is interested. I could also teach spinning (on either a wheel or drop spindle), I'm still learning myself but am proficient enough to pass along my knowledge. I am terrible with crochet though :)

I made butter this weekend, it was fun and super easy and I used the resulting buttermilk to make pancakes! We could combine that with cheese making if there is any interest.
Terri V.
user 8943627
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
I would be happy to do a pressure canning class later in the season. I can also do spinning and knitting.

Terri
Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 200
I like the soap making idea, Shannon, but I'd rather buy or trade another good or service for your soaps.
I'm very interested in the barter system for goods. I'm not saying to not have a soap making class, but any way for someone to have an at home business is good too.
Terri, I need a good lesson on pressure canning. Would that be things like pickles, jellies, compotes/chutneys, juices, etc.
Terri V.
user 8943627
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Krista,

I do everything in a pressure canner now, but the things you mentioned can all be done in a boiling-water-bath canner, as long as the acidity is high enough. I can show you that as well, if you like.

Terri
Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 202
neat-o !! Thanks, let's do it