addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Propose Meetups - Volunteer to Host › A Call For Teachers - Want To Share a Skill or Project With the Group?

A Call For Teachers - Want To Share a Skill or Project With the Group?

Darlene N.
Louisville, CO
Post #: 58
I would love to put on a workshop for backyard rabbit raising. I have fur rabbits, wool rabbits, and meat rabbits all munching happily on the greenery in my garden/lawn. They don't make as much noise as chickens or ducks, and you can use their manure immediately for growing great produce from onions, to greens, to tomatoes and flowers.
Permaculture in the Suburbs
At this point I would be butchering some meat rabbits in one month. I have 11-13 of them, so I would need people to commit to buying one or two of them and I can walk every one through the harvesting of the animal, including the pelt.
It takes about 7-9 days to cure and stretch a pelt. I have plenty in the freezer that I could have in different stages to use as a demonstration. Those who want to try their hand at this lost art, can take their rabbit's pelt home and cure theirs.
Products from rabbits include, meat, fur and fertilizer.
about the rabbit manure-->

How common manures measure up
Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N-P-K 1.1 .80 .50 / .25 .15 .25 / .70 .30 .60 / .70 .30 .40/ 2.4 1.4 .60 / .70.30 .90
Sources: Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, An Illustrated Guide to
Organic Gardening, by Sunset Publishing, and the Rodale Guide to Composting.

It takes me about 30 minutes to skin and butcher a rabbit. The steps of the pelt curing process that take the most time are the defleshing-30-60 minutes; stretching or breaking-30-60 minutes; and oiling-10 minutes. The pickling takes the most time, but you are not actively doing anything, so I could have pelts in various stages, that is have a few ready to deflesh, some that are ready to hang to dry, some that need stretching, and some that need oiling.
For time and materials I would need every one to donate $50/each on top of the cost of the rabbit $15/ea. You don't need to buy a rabbit, but if you wish to simply learn, you may take as much fertilizer as you can carry home with you. Those who buy rabbits will have the meat and the pelt.
Please reply to
Darlene Nixon, BGS, CHom