Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › NAIS - National Animal Identification System

NAIS - National Animal Identification System

A former member
I sent this to the following people last night. Please consider doing something similar.

To Senator Mark Udall:
To Governor Bill Ritter:
To Congresswoman Diana DeGette:
To Senator Michael Bennet:

As one of your constituents, I ask that you please keep your eyes out for ANY attempt to legislate or bureaucratically mandate (via the USDA) a mandatory National Animal Identification System (NAIS):
http://animalid.aphis...­

The USDA is trialing this on a volunteer-basis with the end-goal of making it mandatory. Many of us have reason to believe that the rules were written by big Agribusiness. Their goals are NOT taking into account the devastating effect such a system would have on small-scale farmers, and self-sufficient Americans. If I have a couple of goats and a dozen chickens in my rural backyard, how am I supposed to afford the time and money that would be required to license/register these animals, install the computer chip required, and report on their every move - even if that move is into my oven?

And, just as troubling, the people who wrote the NAIS rules allow a huge corporate "chicken farm" to count all of their thousands of animals as one "unit". So thousands of chickens kept in confined cages in a dirty environment only have to be registered ONCE, yet I would have to register twelve times for my dozen chickens?

Please keep your eye out for this. Please don't let the language fool you or your constituents into thinking it is being done for the public good. Please consider the "other side" of their argument and the detriment to the small scale farmer and self-sufficient family just trying to get by and live the American dream.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,

Everett Sizemore
Editor - US Recall News
www.USRecallNews.com
Resident - The Great State of Colorado
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
Thanks for posting about this and providing a nice form letter to make use of :) I will be sure to send it out as well.