addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Rebecca B.
user 9112796
Englewood, CO
Post #: 2
Sometimes building chicken coops, compost bins, gardening foundations etc. for our yards can be daunting -- especially when it's just one or two people taking on the task. Some projects you just could really use an extra hand for an hour or two. So I'm wondering if anyone is interested in participating in a Neighbor-Labor Trade List just among fellow DUHG members. Basically you put yourself on a list showing that you're available to trade labor services -- you receive help from others on your "homesteading" projects and in return, you help them with their projects too.

Everett -- is this something that's do-able and could a list be kept somewhere on the DUHG site?
Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 290
that sounds great, Rebecca, we'll start a folder to put all that info in....
A former member
Post #: 7
I think that sounds like a great idea!
Jennifer J.
highlandsfreedom
Wheat Ridge, CO
Post #: 9
This is a wonderful idea! I was considering putting a board together myself on such a thing!

We are in.

Something else to list would be tools that you might be able to bring or offer up for borrowing, from basic garden tools to tillers or mowers.

I would be willing to help organize info, if needed.

Another facet to this could be helping others with their gardens when they are gone on vacation?
Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
Post #: 24
I'm in. We live in Englewood so something in Southeast Denver would be best for us. But if I have the day off I'm happy to drive to other nearby areas.
A former member
Post #: 2
Count me in. I am moving back to Englewood in July (from 100 mi. away). While I've got LOTS of my own projects to work on, I've got a bunch of tools & experience that I'd be willing to trade for an extra back or two for some of my projects.

For the record:
While my urban homestead has laid fallow for a few years while I've been away I'm planning on getting things rolling around my place very quickly. I'm looking to build a greenhouse off the garage (which is a whole series of projects including putting the garage back on its foundation), some raised beds, and composting stuff.

I can bring lots of tools and know-how to anyone else's project. I prefer to stay near Englewood (southwest metro) but for a really good labor trade we could talk. ;-) I am completely restoring our 1920 bungalow and have tools and experience to cover everything that entails including plumbing, electrical, carpentry/woodworking, lath and plaster, double-hung window restoration/glazing, and 101 ways to get paint off woodwork. I also have a small (24") rototiller.

I look forward to trading!
Darlene N.
Darmarnix
Louisville, CO
Post #: 4
Alas, I have been working alone on this huge garden for 3 months now, I made raised beds, put in drip line and mulched, started plants indoors, I'm already getting lettuce and spinach out of it. I was in a frenzy to get all this done so I can concentrate on studying for my year-end final test for Homeopathy certification. Since I'm up in Erie, traveling to Englewood and the southwest area sounds daunting as well. This house I live at is not my own, so the projects I can take on need to be cleared by the owner, like bees and chickens, etc. Every third weekend I am committed to my Permaculture Design course until October. I have lots of rakes, shovels andd so on. I have been able to find a good source of large cardboard for sheet mulching. I've also found someone willing to unload their spoiled straw for mulching too. Once my final is out of the way (June 4) I want to continue building up my bed walls with scrap floor tiles. Tentatively, I am going to have a workshop at my house on Monday, June 8 to teach Consensus Decision-making skills. The previous weekend (post-year-end-final) I could use some help with the tile project and possibly do a sheet mulch demo for you all.

Ciao,
Darlene
Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
Post #: 38
I'd love to help someone build a NICE chicken coop. If you're good at carpentry and want a hand, I'm volunteering. Keep in mind I'm totally unskilled as a carpenter and will be looking to help someone who knows what they're doing. I'm thinking something like what John has at his place, or something of this caliber:

Rebecca B.
user 9112796
Englewood, CO
Post #: 3
Everette - if you do find someone to take you up on that offer on building a nice coop, I'll also volunteer services for that day too. I'd like to make the right kind of coop and need some hands on experience before I do it on my own (no construction experience, only enthusiasm and some decent painting skills.)
Derec
shulerd
Denver, CO
Post #: 13
I'm building a coop in the next couple weeks (okay sooner if Camille has her say). I don't have a good set up plans but I also like what John has and the picture Everette put up. I'll probably be adapting something along those lines. I'll let you guys know when I start!