addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Propose Meetups - Volunteer to Host › A different kind of chicken session

A different kind of chicken session

Derec
shulerd
Denver, CO
Post #: 11
I know we're looking for different sessions that would be of interest. I'd be interested in someone hosting how to dress chickens and rabbits.
A former member
Post #: 9
I don't think they would appreciate us organizing a meetup around it but Littleton Historical Museum dispatches their own chickens as needed. They don't knock off chickens on some sort of schedule but I'm sure if you paid a visit and struck up a conversation with one of the women in costume, they'd be able to give you an idea of when chicken will be on the menu. (As a living museum with two working farms the staff, volunteers, and an occasional brave visitor are kept fed from the farms' produce.) I'm sure within a few otherwise very worthwhile visits you'd get a one-on-one live action tutorial on the dispatching and preparing of chickens. (c:

You're on your own for rabbits.
A former member
Post #: 1
I think its illegal to butcher animals within the metro area,so a public demonstration might not be such a hot idea.
Jennifer J.
highlandsfreedom
Wheat Ridge, CO
Post #: 24
Well, what do you plan for them to wear??

tongue
A former member
Post #: 13
The legality of butchering is governed by individual municipalities and will vary from city to city and sometimes from neighborhood to neighborhood. I believe the city of Littleton does have a law against such activity but grants special dispensation for its historical museum. I don't believe Englewood has any such law. No permit is required to keep production chickens and no limit is set. The only requirement is that the neighbors don't complain about noise. Yea Englewood! (However, one is allowed only four household pets and not exceeding two dogs or three cats.)
A former member
Post #: 4
See that's the scary part, if a chicken or rabbit is considered a pet like a dog or cat or treated within the same category then its feasible that you could be prosecuted for animal cruelty for butchering it, which is a felony. Im sorry but I don't want to be the one the county makes an example of. I wouldn't mind however helping someone who wants to learn to butcher if they have their own animal and they kill it themselves, with no audience of course.Its a shame we have to fear enacting such a small but necessary part of life.
A former member
Post #: 18
I believe I was unclear. Chickens are NOT considered pets in Englewood. You may have as many chickens as your neighbors can stand but are limited in the number of pets you may keep by an arbitrarily concocted formula.

Just for contrast, the city where I've been living for the past few years actually distinguishes between pet chickens and farm/production chickens. There are different rules governing each including how they can be housed and how many one may keep. I gave up trying to find a temporary place for them to run on my rented property so didn't get too deep in Pueblo chicken laws but I believe it is legal to kill farm chickens but not pet chickens inside Pueblo city limit.

I agree with you that it is sad that kind hearted omnivores who want to ensure a quality life and untortured end for their food must live in fear of recrimination for not supporting the system of animal torture that is our meat industry. The worst part is that the recrimination is under the guise of preventing animal cruelty. I smell a lobbyist nearby.
Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
Post #: 54
I won't be killing my two pullets any time soon, but you're welcome to use my back yard - In ENGLEWOOD - for the class if we can find A: Someone to teach and B: Some chickens that need to be culled.

Did anyone get roosters in their chic order this year!
A former member
Post #: 2
I know it's a ways off, but we are considering ordering some meat birds next spring. We've never offed chickens for meat before, but my husband has hunted grouse, and it can't be TOO different. We live in Englewood, and would be willing to host a small group if people want to learn with us, since we're kind of learning as we go. We'll update next spring... how many poeple out there would be interested in the blood & feathers?
A former member
Post #: 3
Oh - and I will talk to my husband about the rabbits... he's hunted them before and brought the meat home ready for cooking. Does anyone have rabbits to kill?