addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Help! My garden has turned into a bird buffet. First they ate the pea plants as they were growing, so they never got more than an inch or two high (oddly they ate only the heirloom pea plants, the 99 cents for a package of seeds peas from walmart are growing like gangbusters and completely untouched, I have gourmet pests). They have now moved on to the lettuce and are mowing it down at record pace. I have ordered bird netting, but until it arrives I was wondering what others use to keep birds and other critters out of the garden.
A former member
Post #: 7
I really sympathize with you. Last year the sparrows did the exact same thing. This year they targeted all my lettuce. I just lost 7 great romaine to them. The only thing that I have found successful is the netting. We just purchased six foot metal stakes and three rolls of bird netting. I have my three raised beds enclosed is this. I had to raise the netting to five feet for two reasons. Firstly either draping or having it a couple of inches above the plants didn't work. The birds got comfortable and just stood on the netting whilst eating. Secondly I can walk through an overlap I made and still crouch over comfortably to harvest and replant.

I am open to other suggestions from others that are successful solutions as it is disheartening to put the time and effort in only to have it destroyed by the birds.

Kate
A former member
Post #: 1
You might try having a little heart-to-heart talk with them. No, really! Give it a shot--it can't hurt, right?
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 9
My birds have a taste for romaine too!! but not spinach. I hung some pie tins which seems to be working for now and the bird netting is on the way.

As for chatting with them, well I talk to my dog all the time but I don't think she understands me, or at least it seems she chooses not to :) Dr. Dolittle, I am not. And apparently my birds do not respond well to cursing, begging or pleading. They just hang out in my trees and mock me . . . and the cats . . . and the dogs.
A former member
Post #: 1
Can anyone let me know a good source to order the bird netting? Our lettuce and spinach are toast too!
Many thanks.
Marybeth
user 8969396
Denver, CO
Post #: 10
Can anyone let me know a good source to order the bird netting? Our lettuce and spinach are toast too!
Many thanks.

I ordered mine through Amazon. Shipping was kind of expensive though. I would assume some place in Denver would sell it too, I just didn't have time to go looking. The Gardeners Supply Company - there is a link under "Our Sponsors" to the left of this page, has bird netting as well.

I also hung aluminum pie plates around the garden which seem to be working for the moment. I have read that the birds get used to them eventually, but they are working for now. I just bought the cheap throw away kind from the grocery store.
Jim P.
AdventureJim
Lafayette, CO
Post #: 6
You can also use helium filled mylar balloons...

Most anything that moves around in the wind will spook them off.

We have a bird feeder in the backyard...don't know if that keeps them away, but it is an alternative food for them that is not our garden!
A former member
Post #: 6
I'm having the same problem with birds and squirrels. I go my bird netting at O'Toole's Garden Center over in Lakewood off of Quail and Colfax - www.otoolesgardencenters.com. They have a great selection of sizes and the prices were the best I could find. Right now I have it laying over my plants, but I am going to raise it up this weekend. So far, it has really helped. I am missing a huge patch of lettuce thanks to these pests!