A former member
Post #: 1
I'm new to this forum and am very excited to plug in and use you guys as a resource to bounce questions off of. I have a good one to start off with.

Across the street from our home, in a street tree connected to our parish, there's a swarm of bees that need to be relocated for safety purposes. Besides people coming and going to daily Mass, children from the adjoining school pass under the tree where the swarm is located. By the way the swarm is 20 ft. off the ground.

My question ...is there any way to relocate the swarm? Or is the only viable choice to kill the bees? We'd like to save the bees if possible and there'd be a greater chance of that if we could direct the workers at the parish office of what their choices are (their very open to suggestions and help).

If we can save the bees, who do we contact.

Thanks for the help.

Newbie in S. Denver,

Lea
Jim P.
AdventureJim
Lafayette, CO
Post #: 5
EDIT: I had the URL wrong the first time

Hi Lea,

The swarm does not need to be killed!
There are folks in the area who will do it for free (if they are looking for their own swarm) or for a small fee.

This group is a great resource as there are a number of members who built hives this spring and are looking for swarms to populate them with.

If no one gets back to you in time, you can contact the folks at http://www.backyardhi...­.
They are up in Eldorado Springs and would either come remove the swarm or put you in touch with someone who can.

Also, you can tell the Parish workers that, although alarming, a swarm is actually pretty docile. They are just looking for a new home, not to attack people.

Cheers
Jim
Kelly
kellyrs
Kiowa, CO
Post #: 21
Contact Jennifer Jones in this group! She and her husband both catch swarms of bees!
Jennifer J.
highlandsfreedom
Wheat Ridge, CO
Post #: 20
My question is, is it a swarm or a colony living in the tree?

Your wording gives me the impression that it is a colony. If it is a swarm (a large clump of bees holding on to eachother), it could be removed, but would eventually fly away on its own anyway within a couple of days. If it is a colony (i.e. living in the tree) that is much more difficult.

If it is indeed a colony, likely you noticed them yesterday because it had been raining for several days and so they had to work extra hard yesterday to gather all of the things they needed and were probably super busy. I know our hives were hopping yesterday. They have likely lived there awhile without anyone noticing. Usually removing an established colony from a tree requires losing a tree. The bees are nearly impossible to get out without cutting the tree down, and preventing another colony of bees from moving right in even more difficult.

Give David a call if you would like (720-333-5869) and he could come and look at it, but I'm not real sure he could remove it. But you never know! He's an ingenuitive guy, and if there is a way, he will find it!

Krista
My2TwinsMom
Denver, CO
Post #: 316
Well, what's "the rest of the story" ?
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for the help. My hubby, John, phoned Jennifer about getting help w/this. So the rest of the story is still in the works. I'll keep you posted.

Lea