Tiffany M.
NewbieGardener
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hi everybody,

Ah yes, we need the rain. I know, I know. It's just that I'm new to gardening here and am not sure how all that good stuff (and the fact that my sprinklers wouldn't turn off despite being in the "off" position) has affected my newly growing, beautiful, addictive little garden. I'm curious if anyone can tell me ways of identifying the many problems that too much water can do to my plants. In fact, everything seems to be growing quite well with this water, but I'm not sure on what's happening underground.

Any tips to put my mind at ease would help.

Thanks,

Tiffany
Deb
user 9632084
Denver, CO
Post #: 13
Unless you have a real drainage problem, I doubt that this wonderful rain will harm any of your plants. You will be able to tell if they are struggling if the leaves closest to the stems start to wilt or turn brown. If the plants look good, have no fear! We really couldn't ask for more than a nice soaking for the babies! As it starts to dry out, mulch everything well (grass clippings, wood chips, even shredded paper work well) to hold in some of this wonderful moisture and keep the weeds in check. Good luck and have fun!
Tiffany M.
NewbieGardener
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
Hi Deb,

Thanks much for the encouragement. After fretting about some new poppies in the front getting too much water and starting to die, this rain has brought the best out in them. They must have been thirsty as now they are blooming in a day!

The garden plants all look great. Some of the bottom leaves on the tomatoes are a little yellow, but no wilting. There are a few ants roosting around in the bed and after reading another thread on ant control, I'm not sure how much of a problem they are.

Thanks for the reassurance on the water. All are enjoying the sun for a break!

Tiffany