add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › Bees Acting Odd - See This Video - Can You Help?

Bees Acting Odd - See This Video - Can You Help?

A former member
If you have experience with beekeeping, please watch the video linked to below and let me know if you have any ideas. I might try the "sugar shake" method to see if I can find any mites, but I'm not sure how to collect the bees needed for the sample.

Here's the video:­
Rebecca A.
user 3177502
Englewood, CO
Post #: 5
The picking over each other is normal hygienic behavior. That's a good thing! They don't necessarily have mites, but they are checking for them. That's a healthy trait. Sometimes you will see some of them kind of spastically pacing around and scratching. Those have some kind of job of checking things out. Maybe they're feeling or smelling.

Perhaps you haven't seen this before, because they haven't been out on the "porch" that like that before? Some will hang out that way when it's hot to keep the hive cooler. Also, they are guarding the entrance to keep other bees and critters out.

I'm not seeing anything worrisome from your video. Not sure why the one bee has *her* butt in the air. I wouldn't be concerned about a single bee's behavior, unless it's the queen. I'm guessing they're kind of sluggish since it's late in the day. Even early in the day, they might not move around much if they are guarding.

That's all my opinion anyway.