Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board New Members › Seeking Advice for Choosing Dehyrdator

Seeking Advice for Choosing Dehyrdator

Janice
user 8927286
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
Hi -
As an Arapahoe County/Aurora City resident, the options for urban farming will vary from Denver county. A dehydrator is part of my plan for independent living and healthy eating. Could someone share their experience and recommendations?
Thanks!
JEB
A former member
Post #: 30
My kids ordered me the Ronoco 3 tray dehydrated for Christmas a few years ago. It takes forever but I guess all of them do. I have only used it on onions, peppers and carrots. I was pretty pleased with the results. You need to constantly rearrange the racks though while drying. I hope to try to make jerky with it this year.

Kathleen
Loretta B.
LorettaBanta
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
After I burned a load of apricots by leaving them in my cheepo dryer for too long, I broke down and bought an Excaliber dryer. What I like best about this dryer is the THERMOSTAT. I consider these essential. What I don't like is that I bought too small a size, and it only came with enough trays to fill it. If I was spending the money again, I'd look for
1) a thermostat
2) an off/on switch, though installing on in a cord is really easy
3) flexibility in the number of trays - you may find more use for it than you initally expect. I'd look closely at the stacking type, as you can use only the number of trays you need, if it had a themostat. I try to run mine full, but it isn't always easy.

The Excaliber came with a banana slicer, which I thought was silly until I got a big batch of bananas to dry. It works GREAT. If you can get a deal on bananas, they are the easiest and one of the most delicious things to make. Slice, dry, eat. Yum.
I found another banana slicer at King Soopers that I bought for a friend - it's a little different and the slices won't be perfectly flat. We'll experiment with it, to see if it makes OK dried bananas.
Loretta