addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › Coturnix Quail and Rabbits

Coturnix Quail and Rabbits

Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 31
My HOA specifically forbids chickens. I have heard there are some rouge chickens out there in my neighborhood, but I'm not much of a rule breaker myself, so I've been looking into smaller, less offensive to mainstream neighbors, alternatives, and am very intrigued by coturnix quail and rabbits.
Obviously, I wouldn't get eggs from either like I would from chickens. Quail eggs are good, but it takes an awful lot of them to make an omlet. However, both are good sources of meat. Does anyone in this group raise quail or rabbits for meat? I'd be really interested to talk to you about your set up and experience.
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
I know you said you don't want to go rogue with your chickens, however I am one that did just that last year. I made sure it was okay in my town to do so, and then asked the neighbors around me that could be directly affected by them. They were all fine with it, so I built my coop no higher than the fence-line and got the town approved amount of chickens. I've had them for almost a year and it's worked out fine. I'll be curious to see what you find out about the rabbits though.
Christine F.
user 11510431
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 2
Jessica:
I can't speak to the quail; we went with Muscovy ducks instead of chickens - they are nearly silent, lay a moderate number of eggs, and reproduce well. Our rabbits are on a "so far, so good" basis. We have New Zealand and Chinchilla rabbits. We are hoping for our first two litters in the next week or so. As a kid I was raised on home grown rabbit (as well as duck eggs, goat meat, and goat milk), so this is relatively familiar to me. I am still remembering and learning as I go, but if you need a cohort on this I'd be happy to share anything that might be useful. :)

Chris
A former member
Post #: 14
I am raising fiber rabbits--angora. Can they be used as meat rabbits too? I have read a few times about them being considered a dual purpose rabbit.

Not sure my kids would love the idea which is why I haven't done that yet. ;)
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 32
Yeah, I'm a little worried about what my son would think about the bunnies, if we got them. He's young enough that maybe he wouldn't put two and two together.
I don't know if I'd be ready to actually get any animals this year, we're planning for bees and I don't know if I can get my family on board for another animal at the same time. Plus, I'm a planner. I've been planning my bees since last summer, so I want to start planning for my next addition to the homestead now, even if it doesn't happen until next spring.
It would be interesting to know if angora rabbits are dual purpose. I knit, so it would be cool to have the fiber.
I'll look into those ducks, but another problem is that my mother lives with me, and she is really, really opposed to the idea of chickens. I don't want to offend her either, so that's why I was thinking about something smaller. Once she's no longer living with me, I'm definitely going to get some chickens, but that might be a few years. We're combining forces right now so we can both afford to go to school.
Seth C
user 9716219
Littleton, CO
Post #: 6
well, quail don't take much planning.. 2'X2'X8" pen will hold 6-7 no problem (mine hides in a corner of the garage)
average of about 6 eggs per week per hen.. that about 36 eggs a week.. put a 40-60 watt bulb on them and they lay all winter.

pros-
very low maintenance
"solid poop" easer the clean up more like rabbit then pidgen if you get my meaning.
VERY tasty..
small and easier to handle.. if you haven't killed/cleaned before is a less intimating way to start..
sweet disposition...also a con... I am no "softy", i hunt etc, but it was a bit disturbing to me to chop the heads of some of my "pets"..Franky i would have given up on the hole thing if they hadded tasted so gooddevilish
Con-
you need an incubator if you wish to breed them, they won't set in captivity
like most game birds they can get a bit ruff with each outher.. head pecking etc is just part of the mating prosses.
they don't roost or covey so you cant let them run around in the yard- a use milk crates to "tractor" mine in my 4x4 razed beds.

to prosses
cut the head, legs, wings off with scissors, drop in to a bucket to finish bleeding out, skin, cut just to the left or right of the back bone with sissors, open it up and remove the entrails, drop in a bucket of cold water till you are done with the rest-repeat.. chill in the fridge for 24hours before cooking or freasing, you want the body to go fully threw rigor and come out of it..more tender that way

I have Texas A&Ms.. a Coturnix Quail that was bread for white meat and size.
I am kipling and boles if you want to take a look @ the birds

Christine F.
user 11510431
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 3
Hey Annie! I am a weaver/spinner as well, and did some research regarding Angora rabbits for dual purpose. Truthfully you can eat any rabbit, it is just that some are a lot of trouble for a little meal. The French and English Angora's are pretty small, especially when you consider that you butcher out a rabbit at 8-10 weeks. The rabbit that I was interested in for dual purpose is the German Angora. It is much larger than the other two, and supposedly has a higher fiber per square inch ratio than the other two. The Germans you actually have to shave four times a year; they cannot be pulled. There are problems with them though. They tend toward reproductive problems (rumored to be from inbreeding), so they can be less that prolific when compared to other breeds, and they are extremely expensive ($150 for a white, up to $350 for a dark - you can get a hybrid for about $90 or so). IF you can get a good breeding pair/program, you would be set-up for both fiber and meat. The breeder I spoke to does dress them out for the table, as they are large enough for a meal.
Christine F.
user 11510431
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 4
Jessica:
You may want to pass on Muscovy ducks if you are looking for something small - the drakes can reach 20lbs! They are the size of small goose - much larger than a chicken. The running joke is that somewhere back in their ancestry they were crossed with terradactyls. ;-)
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 33
Seth, you're right by me! I'm at Bowles and Simms. I'd love to come take a look at your set up some time.
Another question, I told a friend of mine I was thinking about doing this and she is all freaked out about legality. Do I need a permit or anything, like I would with chickens? I've never kept any animals but a house cat before, so I'm WAY new to this.
Seth C
user 9716219
Littleton, CO
Post #: 7
likely you have the same issue i do..
mailing address is Littleton (witch is Arapaho county) live in "unincorporated" Jefferson county ..
chickens and bees are against Jefferson county laws in most cases.. so there are no "permits" .. you would have to contact planing/zoning to find out.. seems like the rules have soften a bit in the last 2 years..

burns me up.. no city rules/taxes, no HOA, and i cant keep my bees @ my place... but if i lived in city limits...confused who would of thunk..
on the state level as (near as I can tell) they are not regulated. like bobwhite, chuckers, peasant are so you should be clear from the DOW

I don't know of any rules for the quail.. likly the limiting factor would be number limit of pets from you HOA... but given there size no one is ever going to find out, rabbit cage is going to be much more noticeable