Greater Seacoast Permaculture Group Message Board › Fun Idea - milk jug watering can

Fun Idea - milk jug watering can

Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 482
http://ajourneytoadre...­

I use a milk jug to water my citrus plants so that I can keep an easy eye on how much I'm giving them (put Sharpie lines on the outside to divide up the volume). I never thought about keeping the cap on!
Karen L.
user 10150313
Durham, NH
Post #: 508
Thanks, Greg. Exactly what I needed. I'd love to hear more about watering citrus as they are so finicky.

Karen Lee
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 483
Biggest problem with potted citrus is generally root rot due to poor draining soil. The best thing I've learned about that is a trick of using a 50:50 mix of cedar mulch and potting soil or garden soil. It drains awesome and the cedar lasts a fairly long time, while also holding water. Another trick is to get plants grafted on rot resistant rootstock. One great rootstock is Swingle citrumelo. Poncirus is good too. But really, the best solution is the right soil mix. I've also been told you need to repot every 2 years. I'm due to do that on several of my plants this year.
Also, citrus often end up needing some chelated iron feedings. One of those bits where you have to look for the signs of shortages.
Karen L.
user 10150313
Durham, NH
Post #: 510
Thanks for the tips, Greg!