Jul 3, 2014 · 6:00 PM
In this session we will talk about learning methods based on kernel functions and the learning algorithms, modeling and visualization based on them. We will emphasize the understanding of the methods through simple examples and we will end up showing some applications.
The road map will be the following:
- Introduction to kernel functions.
- Standard kernels. Examples with SVMs.
- Modeling methods based on kernels.
- Non standard kernels. Non numerical/vectorial data.
- Real applications.
- Kernel Methods for Pattern Analysis. John Shawe-Taylor, Nello Cristianini - Cambridge University Press, 2004
- Kernel Methods in Computational Biology. Bernhard Schölkopf, Koji Tsuda, Jean-Philippe Vert MIT Press, 2004
Lluís Belanche holds a PhD in Computer Science from the UPC. He is a professor at the Faculty of Computer Science at the UPC. His research is in Kernel methods, neural networks, feature selection and applications.
Language: catalan/spanish/english depending on the audience.