Organic, Edible Gardening in Orange County. Message Board › Topic suggestions for 2011.

Topic suggestions for 2011.

GregS
GregStevenson
Group Organizer
Foothill Ranch, CA
Post #: 10
The first meetup of the year will be an intro to Square Foot Gardening. That presentation may be repeated every other month as a secondary meet-up to get new SFGers up to speed.

Here are some ideas for other topics. Please comment on them and add you own suggestions including what may be a good order to present them. The order I have them in is simply a rough structure. I just wanted to a spot to capture ideas. I'll come back and flesh out descriptions a bit more over the holidays.

Jan: SFG 101
Feb: Planning Your Spring/Summer Garden
Mar: Vertical Gardening
Apr: SFG Irrigation methods
May: Dealing with Pests
Jun: When to Harvest/Sustainable Harvest
Jly: Dealing with Hot and Windy Conditions
Aug: Lessons Learned, Right sizing your Garden
Sep: Planning Your Fall/Winter Garden
Oct: Soil and Composting
Nov: Thinking outside the (4x4) box
Dec: Exotic ideas for 2012

Other stuff:
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Raw Foods/Green Smoothies
Herbs
Flowers
Peppers

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Greg, How about anything about fertilizers? amending soil by using lime, adding bone or blood meal? fish emulsion etc. testing for ph, or would that considered being in the soil category? thanks.
I think the line up is great, looking forward to this next season !
A former member
Post #: 33
Vertical Gardening!!! and also how to improve the soil around here...
A former member
Post #: 2
The cool thing about using Mel's Mix, which you can make yourself or buy from Lowe's, like I did, is that neither "fixing" the soil, nor adding things to it is necessary. You'll be thrilled when you hear all about this from Greg. It's one of the best parts about Square Foot Gardening. Much of the guess work is eliminated.

Sharon
A former member
Post #: 6
That is one of the many nice things about Mel's mix ! but what I was getting at is what is covered in chapter 5, maybe saying amending the soil was a poor choice of words, but Mel touches on preparing each square on page 62 of my older version of the book. I'd just like to discuss more about PH etc. I found out that depending on what you are growing, for example tomatoes need a little calcium at the flowering stage so they don't get blossom end rot if you have to much nitrogen in your soil. I found this to be probably for me the most useful chapter and wish we could elaborate on it. thanks to all !