add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Organic, Edible Gardening in Orange County. Message Board › Struggling with the garden

Struggling with the garden

Michelle F.
Costa Mesa, CA
Post #: 2
Hi All,
I need a little help please. Something is eating my cabbage plant. I took a couple of pictures to post and saw two little white bugs on the leaves. Something I did not notice until looking at the pics on the computer. Any idea what they are and how I can get rid of them without chemicals?

Thanks for any adviceconfused
Group Organizer
Foothill Ranch, CA
Post #: 15
Could you post the pictures, it may help? The small white bugs are probably white flies. These suck sap from the plant, but don't eat it. The most likely culprits are slugs or snails. Best thing to do is go examine your plants at night, just before going to bed. Look under the leaves. You may see slugs, snails, and worms. Just pick them off by hand. May have to repeat a few nights to get them under control.

Group Organizer
Foothill Ranch, CA
Post #: 16
Hello again. Just saw the pictures. Bugs look like aphids, like white flys, they reproduce rapidly. I also saw your post was a few weeks ago. Sorry for late reply. My wife was in hospital and I had to let some things slide for a bit. Cabbage is tough so you should be able to hold thumb over end of hose and blast them off the plant. A nozzle will also work. You don't want a really powerful stream like for cleaning sidewalk but strong enough to knock off the bugs without damaging the plant. Do in morning so water can dry up during the day.

If that does not work, try insecticidal soap or Neem Oil. Look for the OMRI certification on the label and you should be OK. Label should also say it works on aphids. These product kill they aphid by messing up their body functions on contact. So you need to apply to the insects and reapply whenever they re-appear.