Guelph PHP Message Board › Looking to rent a venue with a computer lab

Looking to rent a venue with a computer lab

Arek B.
user 75800742
Guelph, ON
Post #: 1
Hello PHP'ers,

We are looking to rent a venue for a day. We'll require workstations for about 20 developers
as it will be an instructor driven hack-a-thon. Ideally, the location should be in Guelph and
offer the rental space for one day sometime during the last week of April.

If you know of a good place that could cater to this type of request,
please contact me or post the info in this thread. Thanks !

Arek
Jeremy C.
user 13887596
Group Organizer
Guelph, ON
Post #: 2
Hey Arek,

A couple of ideas come to mind. Have you thought about 349 (the co-working space on Woolwich street)? There used to be two 'boardroom' type of rooms that would handle 20 people, but I'm not sure if the layout has changed recently. Colin will be able to give you more information on that as he works there for 3 days a week. Another option might be the university, although I don't know who you would contact there. The last idea I have is to talk to Well.ca. The room we have the UG meetings in is just a small side room and they have some pretty large, unused spaces in that building that could be perfect for what you're looking for.

Hope that helps. I should be online for most of the day in #guelphphp on Freenode if you want to talk about this any more.

See you soon,

Jeremy.
Colin D.
colindecarlo
Guelph, ON
Hey Arek,

At the moment there is only one boardroom at 349, the other boardroom which used to be on the main floor has been converted to an area for full time desks. The upstairs boardroom is a little smaller and probably wouldn't accomodate 20 people. With that said, perhaps the whole building could be used, I can't say for sure if that's an actual possibility or not. The person you want to speak to is Brydon Gilliss (@brydon), he runs 349.

When you said you would require workstations for 20 developers are you saying that developers wouldn't have their own equipement? If that is the case I think Jeremy's suggestion of looking at the University is a great idea. I have a couple contacts at the University who may be able to point us in the right direction.

What sort of hackathon is this? Where can I find out more info?

Talk later,

Colin
Arek B.
user 75800742
Guelph, ON
Thanks for the replies and location ideas guys.

I looked into the 349 shared office. Unfortunately, we will not be able to obtain workstation access in that location.
Our preference is to not use developer's own rigs. We would like to load up a VMware image on third party machines using vmplayer etc. Although, I hear it might be a possibility as a last resort.

University is currently our main contender, but we will need to see if the right people in charge of that decision
will give us the go ahead.

The day will be spent on training secure application development. There isn't an online post about it as it is an internal event.

-Arek