An accessible introduction for anyone who is interested in raising backyard hens. The class will cover all of the basics of caring for baby chicks and adult chickens in an urban or suburban setting. Class includes instructional handouts, resource list, and a video tour of an urban backyard barnyard. Instructor will bring a couple of hens into the classroom, and students will have the opportunity to hold and examine them.
- Choosing the perfect chickens (best breeds and how/where to purchase)
- Chick care
- Housing and fencing
- Common chicken challenges
- All about the eggs
- Financial considerations (initial investment and ongoing costs)
- Livestock licensing process
Cost: $35 (includes instructional handouts)
About the Instructor:
Sundari is the proud owner of a beautiful flock of backyard hens. She is the author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Urban Homesteading" and successfully worked with city officials to improve Denver's chicken laws.
To Register For This Class:
You will need to join this group in order to register. Your information will be kept private, and you won't receive more than one monthly email from Heirloom Gardens.
Follow the instructions in the blue box (upper right) to join the group. When you register for a class you will be guided to pay online through Amazon payments. Once this system is set up, you can register for future classes with just one click.
If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please contact Sundari at:
We understand that circumstances may arise that require you to cancel or change a scheduled class.
- If you notify us more than 7 days before the class, you can receive a credit for an upcoming class (at the same price) or receive a refund.
- If you notify us between 48 hours and 7 days before the class, you will receive a credit for an upcoming class.
- If you notify us less than 48 hours before the class, you can choose to either transfer your seat to another person, or receive an Heirloom Gardens gift certificate for 50% of the cost of the class.