We're currently working to build a robot base with an equipment cost of $500 and the following capabilities/sensors:
- Large payload capacity
- Custom motor controller
- Wheel odometry
- Navigation (Sonar, IR array, etc.)
- Visual (Cameras)
- Intelligence (ROS based platform)
- Operates for several hours on a single charge
We are now on our 3rd iteration of the robot. We've come up with 12 tasks below to accomplish. Come join us!
The 12 Tasks of Hercules are:
1) Drive around 3 cones - Done!
2) Deliver a pizza from the front door of the DOJO to a pre-determined location in the Dojo. - Done!
3) Detect the face / body of the owner - Done!
4) Follow a predetermined target shape. - Done !
5) Follow a detected person to deliver a cooler of beer - Done!
6) Avoid somone / something when they/it falls in front of the robot unexpectedly - Done!
7) Draw a chess board indoors (with washable chalk) - In Progress
8) Deliver a cookie from one room in the DOJO to another room in the dojo, through a non-predetermined route, avoiding unexpected obstacle
9) Drive around the DOJO for one week without crashing, hitting anyone or getting lost saying hello to known people
10) Draw a chess board outdoors (with washable chalk)
11) Identify a bad guy in a line up of people
12) Drive around the DOJO for one week identifying every time a predetermined bad guy shows up
Please come with a laptop, and be prepared for a reasonably mature technical level. We generally slot people in to one of 3 technical tracks
1) Software - be comfortable with Linux and a Command line and have respectable coding capability.
2) Electronics - understand basic circuit construction, ideally know how to do layout.
3) Mechanical Design - know how draw, view and understand 3 dimensional mechanical systems.